Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical The mind percieves what it wants to percieve

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I am having an argument with someone else, and I want to see what you guys think.

I believe that the mind percieves what it wants to percieve, and that your reality could be completely different than someone elses. for example:

in person A's mind, or reality, he is talking to person B. however, his mind percieves this act in it's own way, meaning that person B, in their reality, could be miles off talking to a person C.

everyone has their own reality. and everyone's is different. My IM buddy says I'm nuts

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

he's starting to make me mad:

Zelos says:
    i have to congratulate u james
    Zelos says:
    uve succefully shown that americans are more stpid than i ever dared to imagen

4. Aug 27, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

How do you think perception works? What is it that you're perceiving?

Since this is in biology instead of philosophy, what predictions does your theory make? If you hold up two fingers in front of a group of people and ask them how many fingers you're holding up, what answers would you expect to get?

5. Sep 13, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, in the case of certain mental illnesses, it would be true that perception of reality is altered. Hallucinogens would also have such an effect.

As for healthy, non-drug treated people...well, we really don't know, do we? Though, the example you're giving is more one of what are we paying attention to and noting, not whether two people looking at the same thing are perceiving it differently.

6. Sep 14, 2005 #5

somasimple

Gold Member

That is true. Many illusionists disturb your focusing/attention and make their game. Brain is able to discard from a scene many important things depending of your thought at the moment.

7. Sep 14, 2005 #6
    If this is true, how come I can still percieve your posts?

8. Sep 17, 2005 #7

That cannot be entirely true, because both brain must be compatable enough to communication to each other using language.

9. Sep 30, 2005 #8
    You perceive what u want to, and once u decide this, your mind will modify anything else

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?