The mind percieves what it wants to percieve

• Medical
  • Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary: Zelos says:uve succefully shown that americans are more stpid than i ever dared to imagenHow do you think perception works? What is it that you're perceiving?
JamesU
Gold Member
I am having an argument with someone else, and I want to see what you guys think.

I believe that the mind perceives what it wants to percieve, and that your reality could be completely different than someone elses. for example:

in person A's mind, or reality, he is talking to person B. however, his mind perceives this act in it's own way, meaning that person B, in their reality, could be miles off talking to a person C.

everyone has their own reality. and everyone's is different. My IM buddy says I'm nuts

Biology news on Phys.org
he's starting to make me mad:

Zelos says:
i have to congratulate u james
Zelos says:
uve succefully shown that americans are more stpid than i ever dared to imagen

How do you think perception works? What is it that you're perceiving?

Since this is in biology instead of philosophy, what predictions does your theory make? If you hold up two fingers in front of a group of people and ask them how many fingers you're holding up, what answers would you expect to get?

Well, in the case of certain mental illnesses, it would be true that perception of reality is altered. Hallucinogens would also have such an effect.

As for healthy, non-drug treated people...well, we really don't know, do we? Though, the example you're giving is more one of what are we paying attention to and noting, not whether two people looking at the same thing are perceiving it differently.

I believe that the mind perceives what it wants to percieve

That is true. Many illusionists disturb your focusing/attention and make their game. Brain is able to discard from a scene many important things depending of your thought at the moment.

yomamma said:
I believe that the mind perceives what it wants to percieve...
If this is true, how come I can still percieve your posts?

yomamma said:
I am having an argument with someone else, and I want to see what you guys think.

I believe that the mind perceives what it wants to percieve, and that your reality could be completely different than someone elses. for example:

in person A's mind, or reality, he is talking to person B. however, his mind perceives this act in it's own way, meaning that person B, in their reality, could be miles off talking to a person C.

everyone has their own reality. and everyone's is different. My IM buddy says I'm nuts

That cannot be entirely true, because both brain must be compatable enough to communication to each other using language.

You perceive what u want to, and once u decide this, your mind will modify anything else

What does "The mind perceives what it wants to perceive" mean?

This phrase suggests that our perception of reality is influenced by our desires, biases, and beliefs. Essentially, we tend to see what we want to see, rather than objectively interpreting the world around us.

Is this statement supported by scientific evidence?

While there is ongoing research in this area, studies have shown that our expectations and preconceived notions can greatly impact our perception. For example, the placebo effect demonstrates how our beliefs can influence our physical sensations and symptoms.

Can our perception be altered or controlled?

Yes, it is possible to consciously alter our perception through techniques such as mindfulness, meditation, and cognitive therapy. However, our unconscious biases and desires may still influence our perception to some extent.

How does this concept relate to cognitive dissonance?

Cognitive dissonance refers to the discomfort or conflict that arises when our beliefs or actions do not align with each other. In this context, it can be seen as a way for our mind to try and reconcile any discrepancies between what we perceive and what we want to perceive.

Can this phenomenon be overcome?

While it may be difficult to completely overcome our biases and desires, being aware of them and actively trying to see things objectively can help to reduce their influence on our perception. It is also important to continually seek out new information and challenge our beliefs to prevent them from becoming too rigid.