The Mind-reading machine is here at last

  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: I would have expected a busy signal, but it is fairly late. At least it's not 'Out of Service' like a couple of once-in-too-often posters that I can think of. :wink:
  • #1
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,652
37
Evo, this might be handy for those difficult clients. :biggrin:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7304

"It is possible to read someone’s mind by remotely measuring their brain activity, researchers have shown. The technique can even extract information from subjects that they are not aware of themselves."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Math Is Hard said:
Evo, this might be handy for those difficult clients. :biggrin:
You know that I love you, kid, but sometimes you just scare me.
So how many of us have hand-held MRI scanners...?
 
  • #3
Interesting...the most likely purpose appears to be for coma patients rather than lie detection, etc.

This would mean the setup could be used as a “consciousness-meter,” says Haynes; “a device that allows us to assess whether a patient is consciously perceiving his or her outside environment.”
Wouldn't it be great if this could be used on politicians as a "conscience-meter"? :bugeye:
I guess I'll have to stick to my low technology mind reading techniques. :devil:
 
  • #4
SOS2008 said:
Interesting...the most likely purpose appears to be for coma patients rather than lie detection, etc.
Where was this when all of that 'Terri What's Her Pickle' **** was going on?
 
  • #5
Danger said:
So how many of us have hand-held MRI scanners...?
These are useless in the White House where there is no emission of brain waves to detect. :smile:

It would be hilarious if you could walk around pointing that thing at people. We could patent it as the "Party Pooper" for parties, "The Negotiator" for business meetings, "The Counselor" for husbands when they come home late, etc. :-p
 
  • #6
Dont point that thing at me, it will overflow..
 
  • #7
SOS2008 said:
These are useless in the White House where there is no emission of brain waves to detect. :smile:

It would be hilarious if you could walk around pointing that thing at people. We could patent it as the "Party Pooper" for parties, "The Negotiator" for business meetings, "The Counselor" for husbands when they come home late, etc. :-p
The deviousness of your thought processes never ceases to turn me on. :biggrin:
 
  • #8
1 cold shower for Danger coming right up..
 
  • #9
cronxeh said:
1 cold shower for Danger coming right up..
No need; I was just pig-paddling after the boat a couple of hours ago.
 
  • #10
Math Is Hard said:
"It is possible to read someone’s mind by remotely measuring their brain activity, researchers have shown. The technique can even extract information from subjects that they are not aware of themselves."

:smile: Nevermind if it's telling you something you are sure you weren't thinking, clearly the machine is right and you are wrong. :smile:
 
  • #11
So if I was thinking about talking purple sandwiches on the moon(subconsciously) This machine would be able to detect that?
 
  • #12
yomamma said:
So if I was thinking about talking purple sandwiches on the moon(subconsciously) This machine would be able to detect that?
Even if you weren't, since the outcome is entirely dependent upon the intent of the operator.
 
  • #13
that's too bad because I really want to think about talking purple sandwiches on the moon subconsciously... :frown:
 
  • #14
yomamma said:
that's too bad because I really want to think about talking purple sandwiches on the moon subconsciously... :frown:
Go ahead; just don't expect it to hold up in the Supreme Court.
 
  • #15
Okay here's my idea

Purple_Sandwich.jpg
http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/Projects/BrowseTheSolarSystem/gifs/moon2.gif

I can't get the talking part doen...YET!
 
  • #16
That just looks like a cheese sandwich, not a purple sandwich. :-p
 
  • #17
Im sorry that the image could not live up to your standards! It is purple, look harder!
 
  • #18
SOS2008 said:
It would be hilarious if you could walk around pointing that thing at people. We could patent it as the "Party Pooper" for parties, "The Negotiator" for business meetings, "The Counselor" for husbands when they come home late, etc. :-p
You wouldn't happen to be in marketing would you, SOS? These are fabulous practical applications.
 
  • #19
yomamma said:
Im sorry that the image could not live up to your standards! It is purple, look harder!
It's purple alright. That doesn't bother me in a sandwich. But it's fuzzy and purple. I think that this should be moved to the 'weird food' thread.
 
  • #20
I don't have a great deal of faith in these mind-reading machines. I have been using one to read my own thoughts for the past three hours. So far, I get nothing but a dial tone.
 
  • #21
Math Is Hard said:
I don't have a great deal of faith in these mind-reading machines. I have been using one to read my own thoughts for the past three hours. So far, I get nothing but a dial tone.
I would have expected a busy signal, but it is fairly late. At least it's not 'Out of Service' like a couple of once-in-too-often posters that I can think of. :wink:
 
  • #22
I once tried to read my mind, but it was out of print.
 
  • #23
I wonder if people will in the future use some kind of screening device in their heads to protect their mental privacy, just as actually bulletproof vests are used as protective clothing

Scary
 
  • #24
meteor said:
I wonder if people will in the future use some kind of screening device in their heads to protect their mental privacy, just as actually bulletproof vests are used as protective clothing
You mean like an aluminum foil hat? :smile:
 
  • #25
Math Is Hard said:
You mean like an aluminum foil hat? :smile:

Yeah, kinda like this
http://a.parsons.edu/~juliaset/images/foilhead.gif
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

"An Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB) is a type of headwear that can shield your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers. AFDBs are inexpensive (even free if you don't mind scrounging for thrown-out aluminium foil) and can be constructed by anyone with at least the dexterity of a chimp (maybe bonobo). This cheap and unobtrusive form of mind control protection offers real security to the masses. Not only do they protect against incoming signals, but they also block most forms of brain scanning and mind reading, keeping the secrets in your head truly secret. AFDBs are safe and operate automatically. All you do is make it and wear it and you're good to go! Plus, AFDBs are stylish and comfortable"

Seems a nice gadget. I want one of these like Christmas present. If the rest of the humanity could know what are my secret plans about how to conquer the whole planet, where could I hide? :rolleyes:

In the end, all the people will wear the foil deflector, so the mind-reader apparatus will be of not use. A society in which everybody knows what their co-workers are thinking would be a boring thing, no? Though would have certain positive things, like knowing very rapidly what gal /guy is very in love with you. So, we could talk really about love at first sight, you couldn't have any doubt that the other person is mad about you :-p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #26
I could sell millions of these to women to use on men they meet at bars! :biggrin:
 
  • #27
Evo said:
I could sell millions of these to women to use on men they meet at bars! :biggrin:
Ahhh, Cupid arrows fly everywhere
 
  • #28
SOS2008 said:
These are useless in the White House where there is no emission of brain waves to detect.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

John...?
Yes Al
I'm not getting anything...did you replace the batteries?
Sure did. Are you pointing it right at George?
Yep, oh here we go
attention level = 0
active memory = potato: P_O_T_A_...D...?
Emotion = trepidation
movement intention = move right little finger to right nostril
 
  • #29
meteor said:
Yeah, kinda like this
http://a.parsons.edu/~juliaset/images/foilhead.gif
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html
Seems a nice gadget. I want one of these like Christmas present. If the rest of the humanity could know what are my secret plans about how to conquer the whole planet, where could I hide? :rolleyes: ...In the end, all the people will wear the foil deflector, so the mind-reader apparatus will be of not use.
I like it! :biggrin: But you may want to include me into your plans to conquer the planet. We should incorporate, and need a company name--might I suggest PF Inc.?
Math Is Hard said:
You wouldn't happen to be in marketing would you, SOS? These are fabulous practical applications.
First we sell the hand-held MRI devices, and then the deflector apparatus, then we upgrade the MRI device, and then the deflector. Like virus software--you keep inventing new viruses so people have to buy new virus software. It would never become of no use, and the revenue stream would be endless. Yeh meteor, the "Match Maker" would be another good one. And the deflector could become a new fashion rage--different colors for women's outfits, built-in ear piece for cell phone/ipod use, the concepts are endless! Muhahahaha! :devil:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #30
Ivan Seeking said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

John...?
Yes Al
I'm not getting anything...did you replace the batteries?
Sure did. Are you pointing it right at George?
Yep, oh here we go
attention level = 0
active memory = potato: P_O_T_A_...D...?
Emotion = trepidation
movement intention = move right little finger to right nostril

For a moment I thought that related to the suggestion women use it to test the men we meet in bars. We'd probably get about the same readings. :smile: :smile:
 
  • #31
SOS2008 said:
I like it! :biggrin: But you may want to include me into your plans to conquer the planet. We should incorporate, and need a company name--might I suggest PF Inc.?

Ok, you will be part of my evil team, ]:) , let's form the PF sect
 

Related to The Mind-reading machine is here at last

What is a mind-reading machine?

A mind-reading machine is a device that uses advanced technology to interpret and analyze brain signals in order to decipher a person's thoughts, feelings, and intentions.

How does a mind-reading machine work?

A mind-reading machine works by using sensors to detect and record brain activity, which is then processed and analyzed by computer algorithms. These algorithms can identify patterns and correlations between brain signals and specific thoughts or emotions.

Is the mind-reading machine accurate?

The accuracy of a mind-reading machine depends on various factors, such as the technology used, the complexity of the thoughts being analyzed, and the individual's brain activity. While it may have a high level of accuracy in certain situations, it is not 100% accurate and can still make errors.

What are the potential applications of a mind-reading machine?

A mind-reading machine has the potential to be used in various fields, such as medicine, education, and law enforcement. It could be used to diagnose and treat mental health disorders, improve learning and communication, and aid in criminal investigations.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of a mind-reading machine?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of a mind-reading machine, such as invasion of privacy, manipulation of thoughts and behaviors, and the potential for misuse by governments or corporations. It is important to carefully consider and address these concerns before widespread use of this technology.

Similar threads

  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
730
  • General Discussion
Replies
31
Views
5K
Replies
2
Views
978
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Quantum Interpretations and Foundations
Replies
25
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • General Discussion
3
Replies
71
Views
14K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
4
Views
1K
Back
Top