1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Minkowski so-called 'metric'

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've just been thinking (prolly a bad idea): Lorentzian metrics aren't actually metrics at all are they? Infact they're not even pseudometrics, so what are they exactly and why do we call them metrics (Actually I can probably guess that as they perform the same role a mteric does and they are symmetric and obey the triangle inequality)?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A metric is just a just a symmetric non-degenerate tensor field of type (0,2). The metric of general relativity is not positive definite so it can't be called Riemannian, but it's still a metric.

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know it's not postive definite and it's pseudo-Riemannian, what I am actually talking about is 'metric' in the most primitive mathematical sense. i.e. a set S forms a metric space when combined with a function [itex]d:S^2 \rightarrow R[/itex], known as the metric which obeys the following axioms for all [itex]x,y,z \in S[/itex].

[tex]d(x,y) = d(y,x)[/tex]
    [tex]d(x,y) \geq 0[/tex]
    [tex]d(x,y) = 0 \iff x=y[/tex]
    [tex]d(x,z) + d(y,z) \geq d(x,y)[/tex]

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ambitwistor (to give credit where it's due) has supplied me with the answer:

The conditions on the metric in a pseudo-Riemannian metric space are sufficiently relaxed that the metric may be of the form of the Minkowksi metric.

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    The term "metric" means "to measure". The functions you gave are metrics in the sense that they provide some sort of measure. The metric *tensor* is an example of a mapping from vectors to scalars, e.g. ds^2 = g_ab dx^a dx^b where dx = vector and it gives a "measure" of the norm of a vector 'length' and the 'interval' between two points.

Pete

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes obviously it performs the same role as a metric does in a metric space and can intutively be thought as the distance. It was just that the Minkowski metirc does not meet the normal defintion of a metric, which worried me as after all when defining a metric for a vector space we usually require the set of vectors and the metric to form a metric space and we usually treat (for example) the set of all radius vectors in Minkowski space as a real vector space.

As I said Ambitwistor answerd this for me by saying that the conditions on the metric in a pseudo-Riemannian metric space were sufficently relaxed that the Minkowski metric is a suitable function to act as a metric in such a space.

There's no great distinction between a metric and a metric tensor , a metric tensor merely defines the metric for a vector space.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?