Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Minus Dimensions

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    I've been reading all about dimensions and started theorising myself , can there be something like -1D? The theory I came up is this:

The Minus Dimensions don't have an object (it doesn't exist), but it's form is created by the location, which is other specific positive D objects. For example: -1D - A blank line surrounded by other lines which exist. -2D - A non-existant form of a 2D square created by other 2D squares, which exist. -3D - A non existant 3D object surrounded by other 3D objects. The most important rule is that the non-existant object must be the center of the created location.

Basicly this would explain a lot of other events.

Tell me what you think

- Liutauras

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    (it doesn't exist) about sums it up.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Objects (and things like force and momentum) exist and are what they are.

Dimensions just provide a way to describe objects (and other things). Any dimensions necessary and useful to describe the real world can be created by the person doing the explaining - provided they're understandable and actually make the description better.

So your idea wouldn't be a theory; it would be a method. It isn't totally clear how your method would explain other events, though. (Don't fall in love with unique methods that just don't add much to what you're trying to say or acocmplish.)

5. Jun 2, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thread locked.

The main purpose of Physics Forums is to teach and discuss the current state of knowledge in science, math, and technology; personal theories and non-mainstream speculation are against our guidelines.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook