The Mirror Question

1. Hello Everyone,

I was just thinking about a question about mirrors and this specific question has been making me thinking about it for a long time and I still couldn't find the answer.

The question is simply about mirrors.

A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards - this is the known fact.

My question is that what changes in overall laws of physics if mirrors reflect the images without being backwards?

I hope I made my question clear.
  2. jcsd
  3. A.T.

A.T. 6,459
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not backwards, just mirrored.

If something doesn't mirror the image, then it is not a mirror. Nothing to do with physics.
  4. okay - thanks
  5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 41,264
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that is NOT a "known fact". It is a "common misconception".
    If you walk up to a person and, say, shake hands, your right side is on his left side, your left side is on his right side. To shake each other's right hand, you have to have to reach across your body. He is 'backwards' (reversed would be a better word) to you.

When you look into a mirror, that does not happen- the image is NOT "backwards" but appears to be "wrong" because you are used to seeing people "backwards".

It is not a matter of physics, it is a matter of psychology.
  6. I understand it now. Thank you so much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted