Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mission statement

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    That's a great idea. The first paragraph is familiar but this is great:

I would suggest to move it up to the top or maybe right below the 'stay connected' box if needed. I'm sure that we can live with 'who's online' and such being pushed down a bit.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2
    ha, there is a type in there!

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's an excellent sentiment but it's a description, not a mission statement.

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4
    Fair enough, I'll title it "Who we are".

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    True, maybe we could edit it slightly:

Physics Forums intends to be a platform for people coming together to create something with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community and friendship among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain
    - Evo

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    We'll have to ask Evo, it's her quote :D

8. Mar 26, 2013 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was always wanting to change it to something like

Hey, it's got to sound like me.

9. Mar 26, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

EXCELLENT idea. Much better than a mission statement.

Excellent statement.

The only thing I would add is "DEATH TO CRACKPOTS". Well OK, maybe a little over the top :smile:

10. Mar 27, 2013 #9

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry to go all grammar police, but I think there's a problem involving sentence parallelism with the current wording. Perhaps it can be changed to something more along the lines of

[STRIKE]And maybe also break it into two separate sentences to avoid a run on (not shown).[/STRIKE] [Edit: On second thought, nevermind about breaking it up into two sentences. It's fine as-is in that respect.]

11. Mar 27, 2013 #10

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On third thought, I might be misinterpreting the quote. Now I'm not so sure of the intended meaning of "not for monetary gain." Perhaps some more rewording is necessary.

12. Mar 27, 2013 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, I realize now that I totally butchered Evo's original intended meaning. Sorry about that Evo. :blushing:

At the risk of re-butchering the text, what do you think of this?

[Edit: On fourth thought, nevermind. It's fine the way it is. I'll just shut up now.]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  13. Mar 27, 2013 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It was just an off the cuff comment I made in a thread reflecting how I felt about the forum. After I saw it years later it reminded me of how poor my grammar is. It was spontaneous and heartfelt. I didn't spend time creating it.

14. Mar 27, 2013 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only four thoughts isn't good enough :devil:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/10000/2000/400/12453/12453.strip.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  15. Mar 27, 2013 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mission statement:

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, ...

16. Mar 27, 2013 #15
    I like this statement. Gets the feeling across. We all are curious but how far are we willing to go to satisfy this curiosity or can it ever be satisfied?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook