The model number of a cell phone

• Thread starter shaan_aragorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Model
In summary, the model number of a cell phone is simply a name assigned by the manufacturer for stock identification purposes. It does not have any special significance or technical meaning. Some manufacturers, like Nokia, may use a numbering system to classify different types of phones, but the numbers themselves do not have any technical significance.
shaan_aragorn
What does the model number of a cell phone stand for? Does it have a special significance? eg: nokia 3310 or sony k300i?

Computer science news on Phys.org
shaan_aragorn said:
What does the model number of a cell phone stand for? Does it have a special significance? eg: nokia 3310 or sony k300i?
It is just the model number assigned to it by the manufacturer, it has no purpose other than being the name of the phone for stock identification.

My Sony Ericsson comes in two colours: white and black. There are two models: 290a and 290b.

Nokia have a system splitting each millennium of phone into a classification. Off the top of my head, 3000 series are budget personal phones, 5000 series are outdoorsy durable phones, 6000 are business phones. Something like that anyway, look on their website.

so you guys sure the numbers do not have any technical meaning?

shaan_aragorn said:
so you guys sure the numbers do not have any technical meaning?
Such as?
10char

1. What is a model number of a cell phone?

A model number is a unique identifier assigned to a specific type or version of a cell phone. It helps to differentiate between different models and versions of the same brand of cell phone.

2. Where can I find the model number of my cell phone?

The model number of a cell phone is typically located on the back of the phone or in the settings menu. It may also be listed on the original packaging or in the user manual.

3. Why is the model number important?

The model number is important because it helps to identify the specific features and specifications of a cell phone. It can also be used to determine compatibility with certain accessories and software updates.

4. Can the model number of a cell phone change?

Yes, the model number of a cell phone can change if the manufacturer releases a new version or updated model. It may also change if the phone is customized for a specific carrier or market.

5. Is the model number the same as the serial number?

No, the model number and serial number are two different identifiers. The model number refers to the specific type or version of a cell phone, while the serial number is a unique code assigned to each individual phone for tracking and warranty purposes.