Finding the Reaction Scheme for Photocatalytic Oxidation of Phenol

In summary: Reaction%20Schemes%20for%20Photocatalytic%20Oxidation%20of%20Phenol.pdfIn summary, the Lambert-Beer model is a simplified model that considers that light passes through a fully homogenous media and that no scattering takes place. The model states that the rate of reaction depends on radiation, and that the tube is a natural choice for design because it is able to withstand the operating pressures anticipated for fluid circulation.
AAMAIK
TL;DR Summary
Modelling and designing of photoreactor for phenol degradation in wastewater using MATLAB
I researched the solar collectors implemented in practice for water detoxification and I found out that the preferred design is the Compound Parabolic Concentrator. Knowing that I have no information regarding radiation beyond what's taught generally in heat transfer courses in chemical engineering to understand the models that describe the possible attenuation from absorption of photons by reacting molecules. I decided to use the simplest model of all, Lambert-Beer model, which consider that light passes through a fully homogenous media, and that no scattering takes place. But since I am not experimentally investigating phenol degradation I don't know whether the media partially absorbs light or is non-absorbing. Also, I decided to apply the catalyst as a thin fixed-film instead of a suspended form.

I also haven't decided on the geometry of the reactor I will work with, flat or tube. However, I found out that the tube is a natural choice for design because it is able to withstand the operating pressures anticipated for fluid circulation but one of the main limits of tubular configuration is the uneven or partial photocatalyst's irradiation. Moreover, the uneven flow distribution also limits the amount of water in contact with the photocatalyst, negatively influencing the overall photoreactor performances.

where can I find the reaction scheme for the photocatalytic oxidation of phenol to derive the kinetic model?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Google 'photocatalytic oxidation of phenol' and you will find things like...
“Photocatalytic Oxidation of Phenol:  Reaction Network, Kinetic Modeling, and Parameter Estimation”
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ie0611960

Thank you @Baluncore, this paper will help me in designing the reactor, as it provides experimental data reporting the intermediates produced in phenol degradation. However, I am working on this paper where the geometry of the reactor specified in the paper is a flat plate reactor, and the catalyst is support instead of suspended in the solution to be treated. Also, the below paper does not contain experimental data to verify the model against and I think it assumes that phenol is degraded to CO2 and that no intermediates are produced which is not very accurate.

The paper you have mentioned does not take into account the interaction of photons with the photocatalyst and the order the rate of reaction depends on radiation.
What do you advise me to do?

https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid:12394dce-a714-4282-8930-93e09e932793

1. What is photocatalytic oxidation and how does it work?

Photocatalytic oxidation is a process in which a catalyst, typically a semiconductor material, is used to convert organic pollutants into less harmful substances through the use of light energy. The catalyst absorbs light and creates electron-hole pairs, which then react with the pollutants to break them down into simpler molecules.

2. Why is phenol a common target for photocatalytic oxidation?

Phenol is a toxic and persistent organic pollutant that is commonly found in industrial wastewater. It is difficult to treat using traditional methods, making it a prime target for photocatalytic oxidation. The process is able to break down phenol into simpler, less harmful compounds.

3. How do scientists determine the reaction scheme for photocatalytic oxidation of phenol?

Scientists use a combination of experimental and theoretical methods to determine the reaction scheme for photocatalytic oxidation of phenol. This usually involves studying the kinetics of the reaction, identifying intermediate products, and using computational models to predict the most likely reaction pathways.

4. What are the main factors that influence the efficiency of photocatalytic oxidation of phenol?

The efficiency of photocatalytic oxidation of phenol is influenced by several factors, including the type of catalyst used, the intensity and wavelength of the light source, the concentration of phenol, and the presence of other pollutants or substances that may interfere with the reaction.

5. How can the reaction scheme for photocatalytic oxidation of phenol be optimized?

The reaction scheme for photocatalytic oxidation of phenol can be optimized by adjusting the aforementioned factors, such as using a more efficient catalyst, optimizing the light source, and controlling the concentration of phenol. Additionally, further research and understanding of the reaction mechanism can lead to the development of more effective and selective catalysts for this process.