Why do modern periodic tables show eighteen groups instead of eight?

In summary, there has been a change in the way periodic tables are structured, with older ones showing only eight groups based on chemical properties and modern ones showing eighteen groups based on quantum mechanics and orbital differences. This change allows for a more detailed understanding of the elements, but some argue that the older tables were better in indicating the number of electrons in the outer level. Some modern tables also use different labeling systems for the groups, such as 1A, 11A, and VIII for the transition metals. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has a recommended table for those interested in exploring this topic further.
Dadface
Hello.It seems that older periodic tables showed just eight groups but most modern periodic tables now show eighteen.Are there any reasons why eight used to be preferred and why eighteen is now chosen?I'm guessing that the change over is due to...well I don't know.Thanks for any answers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
wikipedia has a discussion on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table

The modern table uses QM to define the table structure based on shells and orbitals

the older tables used chemical properties to group elements falls along similar lines
but can't distinguish between orbital differences as seen in QM.

and if you look at the lanthanides and actinides they would expand the table horizontally giving quite a few more columns/groups than 18.

Thank you jedishrfu
I think that the older tables are better in that they indicate more clearly how many electrons there are in the outer level.With the tables numbered one to eighteen one has to remember that for groups thirteen onwards it is the second digit only that gives the outer level electron number and one has to remember that the transition metals break the trend.
Having done some more searching I think I prefer those modern tables that label the groups previously labelled as one to eight(or zero) by use of 1A,11A etc.The labelling of the transition metals seems to be more interesting and at the moment I haven't a clue what information those labels are giving.I see,for example,that groups 8,9 and 10 are lumped together as group V111.
Anyway,I have been looking at periodic tables and for anybody who is interested may I recommend that you visit "NIST" and look at their table.It is the best I have seen so far.

1. What is the modern periodic table?

The modern periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known chemical elements, organized by their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is used by scientists to study and understand the behavior and characteristics of different elements.

2. Who created the modern periodic table?

The modern periodic table was created by Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev in 1869. He arranged the elements in order of increasing atomic weight and grouped them based on their chemical and physical properties.

3. How many elements are in the modern periodic table?

As of 2021, there are 118 known elements in the modern periodic table. These elements range from hydrogen with an atomic number of 1 to oganesson with an atomic number of 118.

4. What is the significance of the periodic table?

The periodic table is significant because it provides a systematic way to organize and classify the elements. It allows scientists to predict the properties of unknown elements and understand the relationships between different elements. The periodic table also serves as the basis for understanding chemical reactions and the behavior of atoms.

5. How is the modern periodic table different from earlier versions?

The modern periodic table differs from earlier versions in that it is based on the atomic number of elements rather than their atomic weight. Additionally, the modern periodic table has a more accurate and logical arrangement of elements with the discovery of new elements and advancements in technology and scientific understanding.