The Mole Concept

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date

Homework Statement

What is the formula of a compound containing 3 moles of oxygen, one mole of aluminum and 3 moles of hydrogen in each mole of the compound?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the question at all.

Answers and Replies

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I don't think there's any point in a Socratic dialogue to squeeze the answer out of you. You can write the formula AlO3H3, the Al , the O3 and the H3 can in principle be in any order you like; however it's more conventional to write it Al(OH)3 which is more indicative of structure, the way the atoms hang together. If you're somewhat prepared that should illuminate you immediately, if it doesn't there is nothing for it but to read yr textbook. o0)

I don't think there's any point in a Socratic dialogue to squeeze the answer out of you. You can write the formula AlO3H3, the Al , the O3 and the H3 can in principle be in any order you like; however it's more conventional to write it Al(OH)3 which is more indicative of structure, the way the atoms hang together. If you're somewhat prepared that should illuminate you immediately, if it doesn't there is nothing for it but to read yr textbook. o0)
I thought that much more effort needed to go into that and I over complicated it for sure.