What Can You Learn About the Moon?

In summary, the Moon does have an atmosphere, has a global magnetic field that is less than measurement noise, and has a surface atmospheric density about 10-13 times that of the density of the Earth's atmosphere at the surface.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

The Moon Quiz

themoon.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes QuantumQuest
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 4 correct out of 12. In question 3, I thought the moon has no atmosphere. A very interesting quiz, but not an easy one. Thank you Greg.

2/12, I hate the moon, now :oldgrumpy:

Likes Charles Link
I gave up in the middle.

Likes Charles Link
I managed 6 / 12 ... you asked some very good questions!

That's a tough quiz. I got 3 and 5.

Knowing about the moon is good to us because many things are related with the moon like existence of tides etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 out of 12. I really like Astronomy!

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
7 out of 12. Went for the missing atmosphere (nice one, Greg) but recovered a bit on the space mission questions.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
8/12

8, with some lucky guesses.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
astronomy teaches the correct use of the sun and the planets

6, with two pure luck hits.

@Greg Bernhardt:
The moon is the second-densest body in the solar system, beaten by Jupiter’s moon ____
Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are denser. Vesta is a bit denser. Io is denser. Various small particles should have a higher density.

4 total lunar eclipses that happen in a row is called
4 total lunar eclipses in a row are impossible. "Blood moon" is just a simple lunar eclipse, or four full moons in a season. Either or, not both.

Likes PeterDonis
10 out of 12, made a wrong guess on how many moons fit inside the Earth (should have calculated it in my head), and I had no idea what a Blood Moon was but I don't consider that a matter of physics anyway. :wink:

Likes davenn
mfb said:
Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are denser. Vesta is a bit denser.

I think a better wording for question 10 would be that the moon is the second densest satellite in the solar system.

The second densest moon?

Oh, and various artificial satellites are denser than the Moon.

Got China, the night launch and the sun/eclipsing moon wrong. And the two questions that didn't have a right answer.

9 out of 12

PeterDonis said:
10 out of 12, made a wrong guess on how many moons fit inside the Earth (should have calculated it in my head), and I had no idea what a Blood Moon was but I don't consider that a matter of physics anyway. :wink:
yeah me too,

I chose 42 instead of 49 ... reading/watching too much Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy hahaha

Greg Bernhardt said:

we have just been through a 4 eclipse blood mood set. This set of 4 is called a Tetrad
two total eclipses in a year, two years in a row

The first happened on April 15, 2014 and the second on October 8, 2014.
The third blood moon on Saturday April 4, 2015. The last on September 28, 2015
The eclipses in a tetrad occur 6 months apart with at least 6 full Moons between them.Dave

I got 8 correct. Having a father who worked on building the lunar module helped a lot, although I screwed up the first test of of the LM. I am surprised by the 49 moons fitting in Earth.

I got 12 on my second try. Does that count? :p

Likes Pepper Mint, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
My score was 4. no cheating by googling before doing it
At least I was pretty much certain on the ones I got right.

Last edited:
4. Meh..

mfb said:
Edit: Wait, they use 6 months as spacing between the full eclipses. That is weird. I would certainly not call that "in a row".
Whet they mean is that there are no intervening partial or penumbral lunar eclipses. Greg has this one right.

I do have to quibble about question #3. When people say that the Moon does have an atmosphere, what they mean is that the Moon has an exceeding low density exoatmosphere, with a surface atmospheric density on the Moon about 10-13 times that of the density of the Earth's atmosphere at the surface. When people say the Moon does not have a global magnetic field, what they mean the the Moon's dipole moment is less than 10-5 times that of the Earth's. There is no way to say that the Moon has no global magnetic field. The best we can say is that the Moon's global magnetic field, if it exists, is less than measurement noise. Measurement noise for magnetic field strength relative to that of the Earth is many orders of magnitude larger than is the measurement noise for particles of gas relative to that of the Earth standard atmosphere.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Did you hear about the restaurant on Moon? Great food, but no atmosphere.

"Congratulations – you have completed The Moon Quiz. You scored 4 points out of 12 points total."

8/12; learn something new every day!

What is the Moon?

The Moon is Earth's only natural satellite and the fifth-largest satellite in the Solar System. It is a rocky, airless sphere that orbits around the Earth.

How far is the Moon from Earth?

The average distance between the Moon and Earth is about 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers). However, this distance varies due to the Moon's elliptical orbit.

What is the composition of the Moon?

The Moon is primarily composed of rock and dust, with some ice in the permanently shadowed areas of its surface. It has a rocky core and a thin crust made of different types of rock.

Why does the Moon have phases?

The Moon has phases because it reflects the light of the Sun. As the Moon orbits around the Earth, the angle between the Sun, Moon, and Earth changes, causing different portions of the Moon to be illuminated.

What can we learn from studying the Moon?

Studying the Moon can teach us about the formation and evolution of our Solar System, as well as the effects of space weathering and impacts on planetary surfaces. It can also provide insight into the history of Earth and the potential for future lunar exploration and colonization.