Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The more you learn, the less you know?

1. Jun 1, 2004 #1
    the more you learn, the less you know???

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
    So why STUDY?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2004 #2
    Because not everything is forgotten.
    (well, not figuring myself into the equation that is :biggrin: ).
  4. Jun 1, 2004 #3
    Just for Fun!!
  5. Jun 1, 2004 #4
    My forgetfulness I do not consider fun. Muwahaha :rofl:
  6. Jun 1, 2004 #5
    Oh, my ! this isn't any fun at all, If i am not mistaken, my facial muscle didn't make a move after reading that poem!
  7. Jun 1, 2004 #6
    I've heard a loooooot of time and ... it's just amusing to me :rofl:
  8. Jun 1, 2004 #7
    if im really forgetfull... then i know a lot?? :rolleyes:
  9. Jun 1, 2004 #8
    -----------KNEW A LOT !!!!------------------
  10. Jun 1, 2004 #9
    REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY! i am forgetting stuff this instant by readin all y'all responses.
  11. Jun 1, 2004 #10
    You are too serious!! Not :grumpy: be :rofl:
  12. Jun 1, 2004 #11
    So if you know EVERYTHING, you in fact know nothing?

oh dear!
  13. Jun 1, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

what if you know nothing?
  14. Jun 1, 2004 #13
    forgeting was never one of my strongpoints, which is how i past HS with exemplary marks without even touching a note book :biggrin:
  15. Jun 1, 2004 #14
    You know, I seem to only remember things that I deem are necessary. For example, at work we have an employee phone number directory and I just happend to glance at this one girl's number once and I can remember it like it was my own. And names. I can probably recite every one of my teacher's names from Kindergarten to this past semester. I'm actually the reverse of most people. I remember names a lot better than I can recognize faces.
  16. Jun 2, 2004 #15

You have misinterpreted the saying, "The more you learn, the less you know." It doesn't mean the more you learn the more you forget. It means the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. It takes a certain amount of learning to realize how ignorant you are.
  17. Jun 4, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

I prefer ignorance is... umm...a little help here please...
  18. Jun 6, 2004 #17
    bliss.. it truly is....

Think about it.. wouldn't you live a happy life being ignorant...

If you're ignorant you don’t have to worry about many of the horrible things going on everywhere...
    If you were completely ignorant you could probably be happy because you would be satisfied with what you have and what the world gives you....

thats why some people who might have less of everything... may be living a better life.. even than a very rich or smart person who has to be worrying about all this things going on....

and of course. it all depends how you define ignorance...
  19. Jun 6, 2004 #18
    Not sure about that. I think people are quite good at being miserable nomatter how ignorant they are.

The secret to happiness is to know about everything but not care :wink:
  20. Jun 6, 2004 #19
    lol i guess you got a point there... but lets say.. you knew you were going to die.. what then... I think most people would care... but if you were ignorant about it...
  21. Jun 6, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

If you are ignorant, action replays are just as exciting as the real thing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?