The most dangerous gang in America : MS-13

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, MS-13 is considered the most dangerous gang in America, with origins in Los Angeles, California. They have evolved from traditional gangs to a more organized and mafia-like criminal organization, running protection rackets and engaging in drug trafficking. They have also spread to other countries, with new members required to kill on demand as part of their initiation. The FBI has formed a national task force to dismantle street gangs, with a focus on MS-13. This gang has also been employed by people smugglers to assassinate members of the US Border Patrol.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The most dangerous gang in America": MS-13

Did anyone catch the special on this the other night? I wasn't sure if it was on Frontline or something else.

I knew LA city gang bangers, and these guys [MS-13] have taken gangs to a new level - more like the mafia than gangs. They now run protection rackets in L.A. that allow them to profit from drug trafficking, for one, without taking the risk of handling and selling the drugs. And beyond this, members who have been deported have spread the gang to other countries. So they are in effect growing like a virus in something like 17 countries; and, to some extent they are organized.

All new members are required to kill on demand. It is part of the initiation.

FBI Targets MS-13

The FBI has formed a national task force aimed at dismantling street gangs and has focused attention on the MS-13 gang, which federal investigators say rivals the infamous Crips and Bloods.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features/july-dec05/gangs_10-05.html

For more detail see this link as an example. I didn't see one that covered what aired the other night.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1347306/posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Umm, IMHO the most dangerous gang in America is in Washington D.C. These angelino latinos don't affect me at all, but the Bushies are messing with my life!

yup, mara salvatrucha. a lot of em were refugees from the el salvador civil war in the 80/90s. they're almost all tough guys, as is likely when payback in el salvador means hacking folks up with machetes. this has happened on more than a few occasions in salvador and once i think in baltimore or virginia. dhs launched a sweep last year, operation community shield, to round up and deport some of the really bad ones. last year, in el salvador, when they had a gang riot (their rival gange is called like calle 18 or something), it involved grenade launchers. nice.

but i missed the national geographic show: family guy was on. hope they re air it.

SA, I don't think the gang in Washington is as well organized. :biggrin:

Thanks jhe1984, I was listening while I was working and never did hear the name what I was actually watching [hearing].

World's Most Dangerous Gang

Lisa Ling

Encore SATURDAY 2/18 7P et and SUNDAY 3/26 8P et/pt

National Geographic Channel’s goes deep inside the world of MS-13 Sunday February 12 8P et/pt in Explorer: “World’s Most Dangerous Gang.”

Correspondent Lisa Ling documented the experience of filming this special from El Salvador to Los Angeles. Below are accounts of some of her chilling experiences, including finding out that she and her crew had been targeted for kidnapping and touring MS-13 controlled territory in Los Angeles with an active MS-13 member.
http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/channel/blog/2006/01/explorer_gangs.html

Why the world's most Dangerous Gang? Obviously these people have never been to Moscow :tongue2:

The "Bush Gang" may not be the greatest at organizing to actually do something but they, nevertheless, manage to kill a lot of people. They are
probably "Public Enemy #1".

These guys are really bad news here in AZ. The Governor is talking about using the national guard whether Bush Approves or not.

According to a United States government document obtained by Southern California's Daily Bulletin, violent members of the Mara Salvatrucha Mestizo street gang (better known as the MS-13) have been employed by people smugglers to assassinate members of the understaffed and outgunned US Border Patrol, already subjected to attacks on a daily basis.
http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=7470
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/news/border_news/

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
Why the world's most Dangerous Gang? Obviously these people have never been to Moscow :tongue2:

There's a world outside of the US?

Good one.

did you notice the part about 17 countries?

1. What is MS-13?

MS-13, also known as Mara Salvatrucha, is a transnational gang that originated in Los Angeles, California in the 1980s. It is primarily composed of Salvadoran and Central American members and has affiliates in various countries, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

2. Why is MS-13 considered the most dangerous gang in America?

MS-13 is considered the most dangerous gang in America due to its high levels of violence and criminal activity. The gang is involved in drug trafficking, human trafficking, extortion, and other illegal activities. MS-13 is also known for its brutal methods of violence, including murder, torture, and rape.

3. How widespread is MS-13 in the United States?

MS-13 has a presence in at least 46 states in the United States, with the highest concentration of members in California, New York, and Texas. However, the exact number of MS-13 members in the country is unknown as the gang operates in a decentralized manner and is constantly recruiting new members.

4. What makes MS-13 different from other gangs?

MS-13 has a unique structure and culture compared to other gangs. It operates in a hierarchical system, with leaders known as "cliques" or "ranflas" who control smaller groups of members. The gang also has a strong sense of identity and loyalty, with rituals and symbols that members must adhere to. Additionally, MS-13 is known for its extreme violence and willingness to target and harm innocent civilians.

5. What is being done to combat MS-13 in the United States?

The US government has taken several measures to combat MS-13, including increased law enforcement efforts, deportation of members, and targeted operations against the gang's leadership. Additionally, community outreach programs and social services have been implemented to prevent at-risk youth from joining the gang. However, MS-13 continues to be a significant threat, and efforts to combat the gang are ongoing.

Back