Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most dangerous job is

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    link

Who knew?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'd still rather be that than an Alaskan king crab fisherman.

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    I'd rather be that than an Alaskan king crab, fished.

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the misuse of the word 'danger' is key here...

The injuries they are talking about are
    I'll bet Alaskan King Crab fisherman (those that live) dream about mere sprains...

6. Jan 12, 2006 #5
    dang everybody said what i was going to say... :mad:

i bet loggers have it bad also

7. Jan 12, 2006 #6
    According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, for 2004 the highest rate was agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, followed closely by mining.

8. Jan 12, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'd say there's quite a bit of difference between pulling a muscle in your back and sustaining a life-threatening injury.

9. Jan 12, 2006 #8
    yep, it doesn't really seem to me to be any use calculating figures like that. other jobs are indeed more dangerous, even though this may be the one (of those sampled) with the highest injury rate.

but then, who's to say what counts as an injury, paper cuts? broken nail? stubbed toe?

could be linked to the average IQ of the workers i'll bet..

10. Jan 12, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Yes. Let's not be bandying it about without due care and attention. :grumpy:

11. Jan 12, 2006 #10
    i once read that being president was the most dangerous... the percent of presidents who've died in office was bigger than that for any other occupation...

12. Jan 12, 2006 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or maybe the screeners are just a bunch of whiners who realize they can exploit the system that employs them, particularly since there are no so many rules now that make it difficult for them to be fired.

- Warren

13. Jan 12, 2006 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wasn't admonishing anyone. I was merely pointing out that when it comes to dangerous, sprains and spasms don't really cut it.

14. Jan 12, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Dave; that was supposed to be an indignant retort to having my name taken in vain. I guess that I should have used the grin smilie.

15. Jan 12, 2006 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:rofl: ten characters

16. Jan 12, 2006 #15
    If you count any kind of injury, then a job like maching tool operator probably has a 100% injury rate per day. Every place I worked people had to stop at least once a day to pull a tiny metal chip out of their hand. Some of these are so fine you can barely see them. Dial calipers make an excellent pair of tweezers for this.

All chips produced by all machine tools are super sharp. It's almost like working around masses of broken glass. Turning some metals on the lathe in some set ups produces a tangled blob of serrated razor wire. Milling with a good, sharp end mill leaves a pile of sharp, pointy chips more dangerous than a porcupine. Mostly, though, people cut themselves on the burr left on the corners of the parts themselves.

17. Jan 12, 2006 #16
    I thought it would a South Korean poltican because:
    1)They have to worry about the Nerighbors to the North with Nukes
    2)They have to worry about getting assanited by there neghibors
    3)they have to worry about getting into fights with other polticans during a legistion seccion
    4)There Neghibors to the north might try to invade.
    5)Google earth will tell terroist there exact postion on earth so terroist can attack.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  18. Jan 12, 2006 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Actually, that's an easy one. Anything that results in lost work time or productivity - at least enough to show up on the books.

Stubbed toes and paper cuts may take a few minutes to kiss and make better, but that doesn't go on the books.

19. Jan 12, 2006 #18

Mk

Do you purposefully use the wrong there just to annoy me??? :surprised :eek: :bugeye: :frown: :yuck: :cry: :mad: :grumpy:

20. Jan 13, 2006 #19
    I don't remember making that report....

Any how, seriously how many time sin your life have you wanted to throttle one of those people? I'd say it's a pretty dangerous job. People are grumpy about long lines at the airport and then they have some weirdo going through their things and asking them to take off their shoes and what not.

21. Jan 13, 2006 #20

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I believe that the article refers to those who screen (X-ray) the heavy bags, which are checked, not those which are carryon. The bag weight limit has been reduced from 70 lbs to 50 lbs.

It would be interesting to compare TSA statistics with those of airline baggage handlers who actually do more lifting of the bags than the TSA screeners. Many sreening systems have conveyor belts on which the bags, most of which roll, can be placed, so there is little lifting.

The problem is perhaps three-fold:
    1. Inadequate training of the screeners by TSA with regard to how to handle baggage

2. The screeners do not exercise and their muscles are ill-suited to lift heavy bags. Following from #1, Weight-training should be part of the job (although TSA would probably expect any such training to be done on one's own time).

3. Improper equipment such as back-support belts or harnesses to mitigate muscle strain. Ever see the airline baggage handlers and people at places like Home Depot wearing those black or orange harnesses around there waist? :rolleyes:

I have worked construction (and a little logging), and believe me, that is way more dangerous than handling bags. Lost fingers, broken limbs, injured/broken backs, and even death are part of the risk - but someone has to do it. Many industries have training programs designed to make workers more aware of the danger and more thoughtful about how the work is accomplished in order to minimize injury or fatality. However, some industries have little (poor) or no such training.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?