The most depressing movie ever

Has got to be Requiem for a Dream. Every time I watch this movie it makes me wanna die.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Every time I watch this movie it makes me wanna die.
Then don't watch it. :biggrin:

I prefer adventure type movies (~LOTR), but not a lot of gratuitous violence, althought LOTR was pretty violent.

I tend to enjoy comedies and romances (chick flicks), although I do not to watch a lot of movies.

morphism

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You should watch The Fountain, also an Aronofsky film. It's both strange and depressing -- but brilliant.

Das Boot and Amadeus are also very depressing movies.

Has got to be Requiem for a Dream.
definitely. It doesn't make me cry, but it just makes me feel like s**te afterwards. when I saw it, at the end, I was so bad and depressed that I felt physically sick... maybe it's because i've seen many friends go that way. all I know is that as much as I love the movie and it's really great, I don't ever want to see it again.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There was one movie that had the most depressing effect on me of all time: Zentropa. 20 years later it still makes me feel sick to think of it.

turbo

Gold Member
Most depressing for me was Charlie. It's based on the story "Flowers for Algernon" and it is heart-rending. Do NOT Google on the novel or the movie if you haven't read/seen them - they are a part of pop culture and the descriptions of both are loaded with spoilers that will absolutely kill the movie or the book for you. PRIME choice for depressing movie.

AKG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The most disturbing movie you'll ever watch: Irréversible.

turbo

Gold Member
The most disturbing movie you'll ever watch: Irréversible.
I have not seen that one. My most disturbing movie was "Eraserhead" by David Lynch. Please do not see that one if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if you are feeling helpless, downhearted, or in a state of malaise. There are some terribly disturbing movies out there, but if you can buy into the "normalcy" of the setting of Eraserhead, you're in for a ride. It was Lynch's first feature, shot in B&W with lots of night scenes and dimly-lit sets. It ain't no "Blue Velvet" or "Dune", but Lynch seems to be able to re-invent himself as a director as the project requires.

Last edited:
Leaving Los Vegas--What a great sad movie!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An Inconvenient Truth.

morphism

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have not seen that one. My most disturbing movie was "Eraserhead" by David Lynch. Please do not see that one if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if you are feeling helpless, downhearted, or in a state of malaise. There are some terribly disturbing movies out there, but if you can buy into the "normalcy" of the setting of Eraserhead, you're in for a ride. It was Lynch's first feature, shot in B&W with lots of night scenes and dimly-lit sets. It ain't no "Blue Velvet" or "Dune", but Lynch seems to be able to re-invent himself as a director as the project requires.
All of Lynch's movies are disturbing. I also hate them all - especially Lost Highway.

Evo

Mentor
I cried at the end of Phenomenon with John Travolta. Don't laugh, it was sad. :frown:

Elephant Man was sad.

I prefer funny movies, historical pieces and of course fantasy (LOTR).

Has got to be Requiem for a Dream. Every time I watch this movie it makes me wanna die.
I will absolutely agree with you that Requiem for a Dream is one of the most depressing movies ever made, but in my opinion it is also one of the absolute best movies I have ever seen, and I swear this movie helped get me into college... So despite the depressing theme I love the movie.

AaliyahBlack

The most depressing movie for me was " Starwars ep 3 " that is the ONLY movie I have ever had to sit through, after the 1st 10 mins, I was BEGGING for it to end................

DaveC426913

Gold Member
For depressing in a sad way : "What Dreams May Come" or "Take Your Heart Out, Throw it On the Floor a Stomp On It Till it's Dry"

For depressing in a "Gnaw your leg off to escape" way, the original "Wings of Desire".

If you want to cry: "Life is Beautiful".

On the Beach

After A global nuclear war Australia is the only civilization that remains. One nuclear sub explores the world for remaining life. They return empty handed to an Australia suffering from fallout. Everyone dies as the last civilization collapses.

Last edited:
Johnnie got his gun,

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For depressing in a "Gnaw your leg off to escape" way, the original "Wings of Desire".
That movie is why one of my arms is shorter than the other.

I watched just because Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds had a cameo. The movie put me off Nick Cave after that.

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
The movie put me off Nick Cave after that.

NO!! Say it isn't so.
Pleased I haven't seen it.

I had to study La Grande Bouffe once.:yuck: :yuck:

Last edited:
Most depressing movie ever? "Closetland".

Salt Lake City Punk.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Most depressing movie ever? "Closetland".
I dunno about depressing, but it's not exactly feel-good, now is it? :rolleyes: I wonder how many people have seen it?

DaveC426913

Gold Member
That movie is why one of my arms is shorter than the other.

I watched just because Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds had a cameo. The movie put me off Nick Cave after that.
Who is Nick Cave and what does he have to do with Wings of Desire? We're talking the German film, right?

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
Who is Nick Cave and what does he have to do with Wings of Desire? We're talking the German film, right?
Nick Cave
I like his music, don't know about the German film connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
An Inconvenient Truth

marlon