Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most difficult IQ test!

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, I did most of the IQ tests on the internet and I get about 140 in most of them but I couldn't do this one http://www.matrix67.com/iqtest/ I coun't even do question 1 so I am really curious to know how to do them :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They aren't really IQ tests, it's just stuff someone made up. You shouldn't worry about it.

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    Ok, that makes me feel better lol

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4
    It should also be noted that IQ tests on the internet in general are useless.

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5
    Yeah I know but I live in Australia and I can't do the real test here.
    The main reason why I am interested in IQ tests is because I have to do the medicine admission test this year and it is similar to the IQ test (section 3).

7. Jan 8, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Dunno, I think the questions look rather fun :tongue2:

8. Jan 8, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't Australia have real IQ tests?

9. Jan 8, 2013 #8
    I don't think so. We have the medicine admission test which is the closest to an IQ test.

10. Jan 8, 2013 #9
    If you solve any of them post the solutions/method please :P

11. Jan 8, 2013 #10

Evo

Which test? WAIS? Stanford-Binet? Raven Matrices? I've been given real IQ tests several times in my life starting at age 11 (they are administered by psychologists) and are nothing like what you see online.

12. Jan 8, 2013 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No sorry, the preamble states: "We ask that you do not share your answers in any public forum in order to maintain the integrity of the test." So I think we should respect that. (not that I actually know any of the answers right now, but some look doable if I have enough time)

13. Jan 8, 2013 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In Belgium it is quite common to ask IQ-test questions on a medicine admission test. These questions look quite like what you see on the internet. But they're not actual IQ-tests.

14. Jan 8, 2013 #13
    It is called the UMAT, it is 3 sections, section one is logical reasoning, section 2 is 'understanding people' and section 3 is non-verbal reasoning (pattern recognition, special problems, series etc...) very similar to IQ test questions.

15. Jan 8, 2013 #14
    If you do all of them that means you have an IQ of 180!
    I was looking at who is the smartest man in the world and many sites say it is William James Sidis with an IQ of about 275 :D

16. Jan 8, 2013 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know, but Von Neumann looks more impressive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_neumann

17. Jan 8, 2013 #16
    WOW! In 53 years he was able to do ALL that!!!
    Terence Tao is very smart too, he was born in Australia :) Many consider him as the best mathematician in the world at the moment!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  18. Jan 8, 2013 #17

Evo

Yes, and some employers do the same, I had to take it for a position at AT&T years ago. Also a test that would test your ability to do more than one thing at a time. You'd be given a couple of pages of math word problems, and while you're doing the problems, a recorded voice comes on and starts telling you to make changes, making you skip back and forth between problems and change what's there. The weirdest was a grueling 2 day test, where they shut you alone in a small room at a desk and you're told that you are the new CEO of a company, where the previous CEO left under questionable circumstances. I loved tests.

19. Jan 8, 2013 #18
    My previous maths tutor topped Australia in maths in 2007 (high school finals) and did actuary at uni then he applied to work with commonwealth bank and in the admission test he said they asked him some very difficult probability questions in a face to face interview and he had to answer in about 4 minutes without using pen and paper.

20. Jan 8, 2013 #19

Evo

Ouch! More companies should do testing or have a probationary period where you're only temporarily employed until you can prove you can do the job, it would solve so many problems with incompetant people being hired.

21. Jan 8, 2013 #20
    I totally agree with testing. We hire to fire our AP clerks. Never seen or heard of a test being administered, just the usual "You'd be a good fit for our Club House, and on paper you could do the job. You're hired!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook