Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most efficient means of travel

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1

Gold Member

Here is something that I have been pondering for the last few days. What is the most efficient means of travel?

I figured I wanted to compare air travel vs. car travel vs. train vs. boat vs. walking vs. biking.

Now I figured I can compare air, car, train and boat pretty easily by comparing how much energy could be captured out of the fuel used in each case... but i'm kinda stumped as to how I can compare the energy needed for walking and biking. You need energy to travel by foot or biking but i'm not sure how I can compare gasoline to fruits and meat and milk. Any suggestions? :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

You would have to weigh quite a few things, such as distance, number of passengers, the route traveled, for example, flying over rivers and gorges, hills and mountains, as opposed to the additional distance if you were to travel by land.

You'll find that there is not one single most efficient or possible mode. It would depend. I'd say you'd find traveling downstream in a boat would be the most efficient, you can just float along.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    Definetly the most efficient means of travel can be found here, Most efficient travel methods
  5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5
    whats funny is that both methods were suggested by penguins....
  7. Sep 30, 2005 #6
    And the winner is?

So 'The most efficient' is not about the Caloric heat values derivable from batteries, or food, although I had heard that food was roughly 100 times better at it, then baterries, but when looking for efficiency what you want to know is how much of the 'work' is resulting in how much 'work', sounds funny right, (hey I'm A rabbit wadda ya want?) Oh no, it is actually how much of what is applied to the Machine in force that results in work done or achieved, how much of the energy output of a motor is actually driving the car, engine pushing the Jet, as it needs have all of the resistances subtracted from the two sides that get read, that is how you determine a Machines efficiency.

So it is a Bicycle, three sets of Bearings Minimum, four if you want to steer it, least resistence, so best energy transference = Most efficient.

If you want to know about energy read it. :tongue:
  8. Sep 30, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is bicycle more efficient than hovercraft, or minimum-contact boat (e.g. a catamaran), or the Russian ekranoplan?
  9. Sep 30, 2005 #8
    Yes to all, least amount of resistance to motion means it loses the least amount of the work put into it to make the output of work that makes it go, forwards.

Way more efficient then a Hovercraft.
  10. Sep 30, 2005 #9
    Catapult must be the most efficient.
  11. Sep 30, 2005 #10
    My vote goes to sleeping!

I can go anywhere in my dreams :biggrin:
  12. Sep 30, 2005 #11
    look ma, my new, errrr? transport...errrerrrrr...

Good point, use it for transportation, Often, do you? :rofl: :tongue:
  13. Sep 30, 2005 #12
    Beats riding my bike all day long.
  14. Sep 30, 2005 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Herbert's Dune, spice-smoking mutants can send people and objects "traveling without moving" (by turning spacetime around, as it were). That's exactly why spice is so valuable.

That motto is somewhat similar to "mobilis in mobili" used to describe the submarine mode of travel in Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.
  15. Sep 30, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could not agree more. It also depends on the direction and the medium. Gravitation-propelled travel if the goal is to travel toward the Earth (aka jumping down). Solar sails in space travel.
  16. Sep 30, 2005 #15
    Nuclear Segway.
  17. Sep 30, 2005 #16
    The TransGlide 2000

This company is looking for investors. :wink:

18. Sep 30, 2005 #17
    Near to far, away

I suppose, but it will not get you anywheres near as far, that, and landing must be kinda rough on your noggin, Oh yes! that explains it! :tongue2: :rofl:

The again after you get the short distance that the thing can throw you, you now need to move it, and that is NOT efficient.
  19. Sep 30, 2005 #18
    Nothing gets past you does it lazy rabbit, am i glad that your back around to point me in the right direction.
  20. Sep 30, 2005 #19
    Is that a Question? or an answer?
  21. Sep 30, 2005 #20

Gold Member

Thanks for the reply evo!

The rest of you need rehab

I'll deal with you later gale
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?