Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Most Egotistical Creature in The World!

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Why do humans think everything belongs to them? I think alot about humans and other creatures and it seems that humans are the most useless creature for the other creatures. For sure the ability of thinking cause they invent lots of things and know the world better. But humans inventions and sience aren't useful for other creatures alot. And somehow they cause lots of problems for the environmemt and other creatures. Somehow we're making the world impossible to live for every creature.

What does give them the right to use animals for doing researches on them? Most of us may answer "We have touse them in order to save humans' lives"! But who said humans' lives are more important than animals! Just because they can't protest about that, we have the right to do everything we want!

For sure I'm not going to tell you humans and other creatures should be equal! You know I'm going to get some conclusion from this discussion. But first of all I want to get your ideas about that.

Are humans' lives more important than other creatures? Why?

PS: I'm not saying these because I prefer animals to some humans!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I think i prefer animals to some humans, some humans are
    pure evil and don't deserve to exist, we would shoot a rabid dog without
    a thought, but a rabid human has rights :yuck:

But then there are humans that are just so nice :biggrin:

4. Jul 30, 2005 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It seems primarily a tradition of western civilization to think the earth belongs to us humans. It likely descends from the Abrahamic religious tradition, wherein the book of Genesis tells us that God gave man dominion over the earth and all its creatures. Not all civilizations thought this way. At least the Native American tradition that I partially grew up in teaches that we belong to the earth, and not the other way around. According to this tradition, we should honor and live in harmony with our environment, not 'tame' and claim dominion over it.

5. Jul 30, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

To us, yes, our lives are more important then other creatures. To cats, cats are more important then other creatures. To *insert animal*, *insert same animal* are more important then other creatures.

In some ways, we're actually less "egotistical" then other animals. Some animals will kill anything that looks yummy and spread their "territory" rather aggressively. If humans want to expand out somewhere or do something, oh well hey we need to go through all of societies rules and regulations and governmental instruments. At times we also put animals above human comforts (closing down various factories because a beetle is threatened). We're really doing what all creatures do and although we do some things that are beyond "natural" (like testing on animals), we also do things where we practically bow-down to animals (such as closing down our buildings or constructing habbitats for animals that cant survive on their own).

So if you think about it, we're all pretty much on par for how we and other animals act.

6. Jul 30, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do we really honor the earth? And I think what are we donig on the earth, shows that we're claiming dominion over it. If we're worried about environment, that's because we think it would be impossible for humans to continue living on the earth 1 day! And we usually don't think about other creatures. Perhaps if we would be able to live on another planet, we forget all about the earth and environment!

7. Jul 30, 2005 #6
    Well, if you want the religious reason, God gave man dominion over all the earth. Meaning man is dominate over all other creatures and has the right and ablility to cultivate the Earth to his liking. But God also said he will bring to ruin those ruining the Earth. So it comes with responsablility and consquences. This is basicly my stand point on the issue. Don't know if most Christians take note of the last part though.

Doesn't matter because those creatures aren't important. :tongue:

Not really, because of humans species like cows, chickens, dogs, cats, etc are far more successful because of humans. They are far more likely to survive because they taste good or are cute and furry. :biggrin:

Not to mention that if a huge asteriod ever comes our way, we'll be the only species that has a chance of stopping it from killing trillions of animals.

What gives animals the right to live?

8. Jul 31, 2005 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

By all means, ask a lion or a shark if it values your life - but do keep your distance. :wink:

9. Jul 31, 2005 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Forget about shark or loin.

Do you value my life as a human, russ? :wink: I really want to know if humans value each other's lives!

10. Jul 31, 2005 #9
    One of my house"mates" this year was seriously up himself.

11. Jul 31, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I have £15, 56p, my fossil collection, still, stamp collection and a book, if thats
    not enough i can get a night job :biggrin:
    Humans are priceless even the one's that aren't the full shilling :biggrin:

12. Jul 31, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Sorry Sir. But I think it's aserious issue.

13. Jul 31, 2005 #12
    I'll remember this question next time I am driving down the road and I have the choice of hitting a deer in the middle of the road or a human (you perhaps) walking along the side.

14. Jul 31, 2005 #13
    Good question Lisa! The answer is that no species is anymore entitled to be here than any other. Some humans believe otherwise, just because we're at the top of the food chain. Humans follow the laws of nature and survival just like any other creature. Some humans believe that humans are the only "animals" (hell some people don't even think humans could be "animal") that have souls! Ridiculous! It's all egotism, a trait basically exclusive to humanity, who has branched off of the strict focus of survival.

Baloney! Animals like sharks or lions or what have you do what they do with the intention of SURVIVAL. Plain and simple. Humans are the only animals that will kill another species for fun, for a test or for a fassion statement! And those endangered species we try to save, they are endangered from humans! Otherwise why are we interfering with the course of nature?

Averagesupernova:

You should hit the deer and not the human. The reason is that killing a human would be quite the crime, whereas the authorities could care less if you hit the deer! That's the reason, and it's based on laws created by HUMANS! That does not mean it would be more unethical to hit the person (I think they would be equal).

15. Jul 31, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

or you could hit lisa! and the deer and reduce the impact by 1/2 on both of them...

edit-wow this is a mean post.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  16. Jul 31, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Yes. To an animal, a human is just another animal. To other humans, we're different.

17. Jul 31, 2005 #16

russ_watters

No, sorry, hitting both would have little effect on the impact energy of hitting either.

18. Jul 31, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you ever seen a chicken coup after the fox has paid a visit?

19. Jul 31, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

They contribute positively to their ecosystems, which doesn't just mean keeping other animals alive. Life requires death. When lions and sharks kill, they are still contributing positively to their ecosystems. You can't say the same for humans. Since the industrial revolution, humans have decimated ecosystems across the planet. Respecting life means more than keeping individual organisms alive. It means keeping intact the cycles and systems that sustain life, cycles and systems that have evolved into careful equilibrium over hundreds of millions of years. Humans have a tendency to disrupt that equilibrium. I'm not saying other animals are any more virtuous - if they had the means as we do, chances are they'd be plundering and overusing resources too. What I am saying is that there are things more important than virtue. Whether biodiversity is sustained on this planet through accident or intent doesn't matter quite so much as that it is simply sustained.

20. Jul 31, 2005 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Chimpanzees play around with and sometimes torture colobus monkeys before killing them for food. They also go on raiding parties looking for other chimpanzees that aren't part of their tribe. When they find one alone and vulnerable, they beat it and torture it, sometimes biting off its testicles and tearing the flesh from its bones, before finally murdering it. They'll continue doing this in systematic fashion until every member of an opposing tribe is wiped out.

21. Jul 31, 2005 #20
    NICE!!! HAHAHAHA

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?