Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights The Most Important Thing You Can Learn from Physics Forums - Comments

1. Aug 8, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2015 #2

Borg

Gold Member

This has indeed been one of the most helpful things that I have learned on the forum. I just wish PF had been around (along with the internet) when I was in college. :smile:

4. Aug 8, 2015 #3
    pf opened my eyes to the math and other things I was missing, much thanks.:smile:

5. Aug 8, 2015 #4
    I kind of feel the internet sheds some light into the internal mechanics of the so-called "Moore's Law". Without access to this forum I would be way more stupid. I think this new access to knowledge creates better scientists each generation.

6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you clearly cite a source where the word "under" can be used as a verb?
    I'm not finding it. ;P

"I’ve mentioned our insistence that members who wish to under about stuff they read, heard, etc. must cite their sources clearly."

7. Aug 8, 2015 #6

OCR

Aww, that was just a simple typo... :oldwink:

It should really be read as ... :oldeyes:

"I’ve mentioned our insistence that members who wish to wunder[1] about stuff they read[2], heard, etc. must cite their sources clearly."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. Aug 9, 2015 #7
    This place is great. Entering here and finding people wirting stuff about their works in the mainstream of science, in places like the LHC, or whatever, scientist talking about their work, I think this is a great thing, the spirit of cooperation in this place, it is the spirit of scientific cooperation. I love this forum. I've been posting in other forums for a long long time (not science related), and the community is way different than here. Here the community is pretty inclusive, the users are always working to help people understand, and not to feel that they are better than the others. There is a continuous effort to construct knowledge.

Some times I think that it would be great to find discussions on other topics, like politics, religions, and social sciences in this forum, I don't know if there already is a subforum for that. But at the same time I think that those discussions tend to divide people. Anyway, I think it would be enriching to know the political ideologies, the social and religious points of views of so particular people as the ones that make this forum. And that the discussion of this topics in this community, where practicly there are no 'scientific illeterate' as Neil De Grase says in somewhere, I think that those discussion in this place could really contribute to give ideas on how to deal and how to solve the many problems societies all around the world face day to day.

Great words. Politics is ordinarily driven as a religion, when it should really be the closest to a science as it could be.

Sorry for my english, I love this place.

Greetings.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  9. Aug 9, 2015 #8
    Fantastic post!

10. Aug 9, 2015 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Great article, ZZ!

11. Aug 10, 2015 #10

Dembadon

Gold Member

Without this forum, I would believe myself to be a lot smarter than I actually am.

12. Aug 10, 2015 #11
    Yes, I see . :woot:

13. Aug 10, 2015 #12
    Thanks Zapper Z!

14. Aug 21, 2015 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Gosh, I really should proofread what I write more carefully. That article is full of typos and errors!

Zz.

15. Aug 23, 2015 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try : https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/general-discussion.14/

16. Aug 23, 2015 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

We understands. :oldbiggrin: Ostensibly, an author may edit his or her content.

Also, many of the staff are practicing scientist, educators and/or engineers, as well as students on their way, hopefully, to careers in science, engineering, technology and/or education. As professionals, we continue to learn throughout our professional careers, and we hopefully mentor and encourage, or otherwise inspire, the next and future generations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted