The Most Influential Person of the 20th Century

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
In summary, the most influential person of the 20th century is widely considered to be Mahatma Gandhi, a leader of the Indian independence movement and advocate for nonviolent resistance. His philosophy of Satyagraha, or truth-force, inspired countless civil rights and social justice movements around the world. Gandhi's legacy also extends to his impact on global politics, as he played a crucial role in the independence of India and influenced leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela. His teachings on peace, nonviolence, and equality continue to be relevant and influential in the modern world.
You know what. I'm going to change my answer to Gavrilo Princip. That guy's single action changed the entire century right from the beginning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
You know what. I'm going to change my answer to Gavrilo Princip. That guy's single action changed the entire century right from the beginning.
I think that the outcome from his actions are really much more contingent on the actions and reactions of others. To be fair it's probably best to measure a person's "influence" by the virtue of more direct effects of that person's existence and actions rather than a butterfly effect.

what about fritz haber, as in haber process? i totally forgot about him, had to think way back to my chemistry days.

Smurf said:
Except for... you know... the millions upon millions of people who either are psychotherapists or who's lives had been sufficiently altered by one.
You are suggesting that if Freud hadn't been around, none of these pople would have taken an interest in exploring the human mind? Or that others who are troubled would have had no one to go to?

Certainly, Freud had a hugely dramatic impact *on* his discipline, but I can't say it wouldn't have existed or wouldn't have progressed without him.

Former President Reagan had a pretty good impact on the world in the latter part of the century. At least from my viewpoint anyhow, he began to melt the ice of the Cold War which eventually led to the breakdown of communism and the restructuring of many countries under the communist thumb.

ShawnD said:
Mass killings are not as well remembered as you would like to think. Please read the following paragraph slowly. Read it twice if you need to.
The Japanese massacre of other Asian countries was just overwhelming. Upwards of 20 million people died. Japan is responsible for the largest mass rape in human history; over 700,000 women raped, 90% of them were killed afterwards (google for "jugun ianfu"). Japan's medical experiments on Chinese people dwarfed the ones done in the Nazi camps (google for "Shiro Ishii" or "unit 731"). People were dissected while they were still alive, without any kind of sedation. Japan was the only country in WW2 to use biological weapons on civilians; this included the bubonic plague, anthrax, and cholera. Japan was also the only country to use chemical weapons. Japan's PoW camps were much worse than Germany's camps. Germany's PoW camps had a death rate of less than 5%, whereas Japanese PoW camps had a death rate of 30% or higher.
In the end, which country was remembered more? Germany or Japan?

I guess Germany is remembered than Japan. Honestly, I didn't know that kind of thing took place in Japan... very disturbing.

I didn't see if anyone mentioned him already, but Wilson gets my vote. He is responsible for the UN, the Marshall plan, and the re-making of the geopolitical landscape of Europe in the 2nd half of the century. The EU owes it's existence to him. Yeah, Hitler started a war, but most of the impacts from him were secondary - ie, Stalin had more of a direct impact on the geopolitical landscape of Eastern Europe after WWII then Hitler did. Hitler was just the enabler for that - Stalin is the one who made it happen.

Evo's point about the Internet is a good one, but there were so many people involved that it's tough to pick one. And the Internet has nowhere near realized it's full potential yet, so that may be the answer to this question if we repost it in 50 years or so...

There are so many 'influential' people to chose from. This is a very hard decision.

What about Britney Spears?

and what about Thomas Edison ?

marlon

marlon said:
and what about Thomas Edison ?
marlon

Maybe I will consider Edison instead of Spears.

laminatedevildoll said:
Maybe I will consider Edison instead of Spears.

Well, it's a tight race I would say. But at least we can agree on Britney being the winner of the 21st century?

EL said:
Well, it's a tight race I would say. But at least we can agree on Britney being the winner of the 21st century?
No no, that's going to be Christina Aguilera:approve:
The most influential artist of the 20th century is either Marlon Brando (especially thanks to the "butter scene" in Last Tango in Paris:wink: or for his appearance in Over the Waterfront)or Luciano Pavarotti
GRANDE TENORISSIMO, BRAVO
marlon

But if anoying animated animals counts, we certainly have a winner: Crazy Frog.

Hitler, I suppose; I think two or three of my great-grandfathers died in WWII.

russ_watters said:
I didn't see if anyone mentioned him already, but Wilson gets my vote. He is responsible for the UN, the Marshall plan, and the re-making of the geopolitical landscape of Europe in the 2nd half of the century. The EU owes it's existence to him.
I'll buy that. Wilson did have a huge effect on US politics even after his death. (It could be argued that if it wasn't for Wilson then Roosevelt couldn't have gotten the US out of isolationism the second time)

DaveC426913 said:
Certainly, Freud had a hugely dramatic impact *on* his discipline, but I can't say it wouldn't have existed or wouldn't have progressed without him.
You could say that about anyone. Redundant to the question of his influence.

Andre said:
Now, surprisingly, nobody voted for the man who terminated the cold war single handedly, and ended up almost forgotten as shown here after three pages.
Michael "Gorbi" Gorbatschow
How about the man who started the reform of the CP Yuri Andropov.