1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most interesting physics book

1. May 28, 2004 #1
    What is the most informative and interesting physics book you have ever read? I'd like something to read that's worth the money!It can be about any subject.Technical or non-technical.

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2004 #2
    I could list hundreds...

4. May 28, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

Inward Bound by Abraham Pais is a neat mix of chatty history and nitty-gritty details, if I remember correctly a decade after reading it.

5. May 29, 2004 #4

Njorl

Science Advisor

Well, I'd say Goldstein's Classical mechanics, but I wouldn't recommend just reading it.

Njorl

6. May 29, 2004 #5
    Do you want a physics book that will help you solve practical physics problems? or do you want a book that will make you understand and appreciate the beauty of physics?

7. Jun 1, 2004 #6
    The Character of Physical Law is one of my favorites. Written by Richard Feynman. Very interesting person he is indeed.

8. Jun 2, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look for "The Second Creation" by Robert P Crease and Charles C Mann. This is one book you will NEVER regret buying. I've seen it on Amazon.

9. Jun 2, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heavens, have we bred beings on this planet that are capable of such feelings towards Goldstein ?

10. Jun 2, 2004 #9

Janitor

Science Advisor

What action is Gokul43201 imagining here?

11. Jun 4, 2004 #10
    Chaos by James Gleick

He goes through the history of the development of Chaos as a science and mathematical field. It is absolutely fascinating to read, by far one of the best "pop-sci" books i've ever read, and it is not technical at all, very easy to understand.

12. Jun 4, 2004 #11
    Feynman Lectures on Physics (Feynman et al), The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene)

13. Jun 4, 2004 #12
    i read the book but i cant say it's only a physics book it's an all around science book: biology,chemistry, physics and maths.
    each oh these subjects have a connection to chaos theory and this book can be a great teaser to read some other more technical stuff in chaos theory.

14. Jun 5, 2004 #13
    i read hawking's "brief history of time" while in high school, this book really got the ball rolling for me.......

15. Jun 5, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've read Gleick too. Was not bad.

The pictures are fun though.

16. Jun 5, 2004 #15

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Gleik has a biography of Feynman which is pretty good too. It gets into Feynman's own methods of thinking physics, which evolved over his lifetime, and it gives a better picture of the man than the deliberate caricature in the "Surely You're Joking" books.

No equations though.

17. Jun 6, 2004 #16
    I found Stuart kauffman's "At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity" a very interesting read. He tries to tell us that natural selection's hash-mash of accidents is not the only force at work during evolution.

It influenced me almost as much as Gleick's book on chaos.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my favorite physics book is "The self-made tapestry" by Philip Ball. Definitely worth reading!

Matt

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  18. Jun 6, 2004 #17
    "Six not so easy pieces" by Richard Feynman really gives the reader a clear picture of what special and general relativity are about.

19. Jun 7, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also about how nice it is to have symmetry.

20. Jun 7, 2004 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And there's another by John & Mary Gribbin

21. Jun 8, 2004 #20
    At the moment, I think SIMILARITIES IN PHYSICS by John N. Shive and Robert L. Weber is the most interesting and informative physics book I've read although I really like Poincare's writing in his THE FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE volumes and Mach's THE SCIENCE OF MECHANICS. What I find interesting in these books is the way these men are thinking. I like Einstein's writings for similar reasons but an anthology of essays may not qualify as a book perhaps. If it did I would add papers by Edwin Jaynes and David Hestenes. I'm still searching for more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?