The most maddening thing ever We MUST change it (more)

• Thread starter Sikz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the plural of moose is moose. What's with that!? It should be meese! Don't you think? But it's actually moose. You're confusing moose with mouse. English is a bastard tongue, but octopodes are the right plural. The plural of mouse is mice. Sometimes I feel like all of existence is an inside joke, and I don't get it.
Sikz
The plural of moose is moose. What's with that!? It should be meese! Don't you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
fish?

And why is 'ghoti' pronounced 'fish'?

(Or was it, why is 'fish' spelt 'ghoti'? I get confused so easily. Come back Bernard!)

Originally posted by Nereid
And why is 'ghoti' pronounced 'fish'?
Because there just enough women in the nation.

- Warren

Originally posted by Sikz
The plural of moose is moose. What's with that!? It should be meese! Don't you think?
You are reasoning from the example of "goose", I take it. However a closer look at the situation reveals that the plural of elk is elk, and the plural of deer is deer, and the plural of caribou is caribou. I think it's an antler club thing.

-Zooby

N.P.P.S.(Plural of elk can be either elk or elks)

Last edited:

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I think it's an antler club thing.

What about sheep? I don't recall seeing a sheep with antlers.

And I'm a welshman, I've seen a lot of sheep...

Originally posted by jonnylane
What about sheep? I don't recall seeing a sheep with antlers.
Sheep take 'em off when there's people around.

and don't even mention ox

speaking of pluralities. When I was young I learned one octopus, two octopi. However, I just watched a show on them and all the scientists used octopuses.

Originally posted by tribdog
and don't even mention ox

speaking of pluralities. When I was young I learned one octopus, two octopi. However, I just watched a show on them and all the scientists used octopuses.

Should rightly be octopodes. But that's a lost cause.

English is a pidjin tongue (French+Nordic) + (Low German+Nordic) + ...+ Latin + Greek + Tagalog + Malay + various Native American tongues + ...

Octalpi? It's about 3.1104 or so.

Njorl

Originally posted by selfAdjoint English is a pidjin tongue (French+Nordic) + (Low German+Nordic) + ...+ Latin + Greek + Tagalog + Malay + various Native American tongues + ...
Ooooo, SelfAdjoint! No, No No. English may be a bastard tongue but it is definitely not pidjin.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Ooooo, SelfAdjoint! No, No No. English may be a bastard tongue but it is definitely not pidjin.

That's true, I tried talking to some pidjins in english, but they looked at me like they didn't know what the heck I was talking about, Bastards!

Originally posted by Sikz
You're confusing moose with mouse, you know:
moose -> moose
mouse -> mice

Just like:
louse -> lice (cf loose -> loose)
nouse -> nice (cf noose -> noose) :wink:
grouse -> grice :wink: :wink:
house -> hice :wink: :wink:

The moose, mice, lice, grouse ... even the piddly jinns (when not tipsy) ... they all 'get' it.

Who said English spelling was hard?:wink:

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like all of existence is an inside joke, and I don't get it.

Shouldn't one person from Portugal be called a Portugoose?

Originally posted by Sting
Shouldn't one person from Portugal be called a Portugoose?
I thought he'd be a Portuguy.

Originally posted by Njorl
Octalpi? It's about 3.1104 or so.
Njorl
HUH?? you told me it was 3.11048th, you know Octal then Pi!

Oh ya, in Canada the plural of Moose is Moose+, or Mooses

Sheep are always in a group (herd?) If one were to see one sheep wouldn't it then be a shoop with or without horns or antlers. If one saw a herd of houses would one be looking at hice or heese. I think I'm going to be sick.
Did anyone ever find out how to burn your foot while making popcorn?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Oh ya, in Canada the plural of Moose is Moose+, or Mooses
YIKES! did I get **** for that one, so I have now been corrected, the plural of "Moose", in Canada, is "2 Moose", also known as "Two Moose" my apologies to all Canadians for the error, so sorry!

What is the most maddening thing ever?

The most maddening thing ever is subjective and can vary from person to person. It could refer to a social issue, a personal struggle, or a frustrating situation.

Why do we need to change it?

We need to change it because it causes frustration, anger, and/or negative consequences. It may also go against our values or beliefs, and we feel the need to take action to improve the situation.

What can be done to change it?

To change the most maddening thing ever, we need to identify the root cause and come up with a solution. This could involve raising awareness, advocating for change, or taking direct action to address the issue.

Who is responsible for changing it?

Everyone has a role to play in changing the most maddening thing ever. It is a collective responsibility to work towards creating a better world and addressing issues that affect us all.

How can we motivate others to join in the change?

We can motivate others to join in the change by highlighting the impact the issue has on individuals and society as a whole. We can also showcase successful examples of change and emphasize the importance of collective action in creating meaningful change.