Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most used thing in your house!

1. Feb 10, 2004 #1
    I would have to say the toilet, potty, flusher, relief seat, reading chair, nadanadanada.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The air. :wink:
  4. Feb 10, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

I would have to say that now my insomnia is clearing, it would have to be my bed. though CD player and computer come a close second.
  5. Feb 10, 2004 #4
    The most used thing in my house is probably my #1 amplifier...sometimes I even use it as a computer speaker, with earth-shaking results!
  6. Feb 10, 2004 #5
    Usually it would be the TV, which probably just edges out the bed and the computer. This season, where I am located (NE USA) however, it is the heater. It runs nearly all the time.
  7. Feb 10, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're talking guitar amp, yes?

I've always heard that it's a bad idea to play recorded music (like from a computer or CD player) through a guitar rig, because the amp and speakers were not designed to handle the large frequency range. In a similar vein, I've heard people say that you can play a guitar through a bass amp, but you should never attempt to play a bass through a guitar amp.

As a EE, I recognize that, for the most part, a power amp is a power amp, and it doesn't care what frequencies you throw at it. If you give it too high a frequency, it will politely ignore it. If you give it too low a frequency, it might overheat (but most amps have thermal protection circuits).

The speakers, though, might actually be damaged by playing the wrong frequencies. I dunno. Have you heard these warnings also?

- Warren
  8. Feb 10, 2004 #7
    I've heard about this stuff, but I think it applies more to tube amps than digital. Anyhoo, it isn't like I'm driving the amp anywhere near full-out. A 120 watt 2X12 in a bedroom rarely gets turned up above 4, right?
  9. Feb 10, 2004 #8

Science Advisor

The carpet.
  10. Feb 10, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You sound just like me. I have a Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT275... 150W 2x12... in my bedroom. It probably never makes it above 4 even when I'm alone in the house!

- Warren
  11. Feb 10, 2004 #10

Staff: Mentor

My bed, I have my laptop on it and I have lots of room to spread out diagrams I am working on. It's perfect.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  12. Feb 10, 2004 #11
    where in NE? I live in west omaha
  13. Feb 10, 2004 #12
    The light switch.
  14. Feb 10, 2004 #13
    I live 2/3 of my life in a 10 by 6 ft. room.
    the most used objects in the room are my speakers.
    there on 24/7.:smile:
  15. Feb 10, 2004 #14
    Id have to say my bed and my computer. I almost never watch tv except for the Simpsons and news.
  16. Feb 11, 2004 #15
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant North East USA (New Jersey). My mistake. Pardons to all of you Nebraska peoples.
  17. Feb 11, 2004 #16
    Bed and computer.... which just happen to be located about 2 feet from each other
  18. Feb 11, 2004 #17
    thats a good one and so real, but, at my age, you could probably see why I picked the toilet machine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?