Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Movie: Gravity

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    I felt I had to be a little explicit with the title, because just "Gravity" is a little too vague for a forum like this :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0

Thoughts? I think it certainly has a nice 2-person cast with Clooney and Bullock, but I'm wondering if the plot might be too limited; this whole movie appears to cover what happens in about 2 minutes in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you seen Chris Kentis' "Open Water"? It's pretty much the same concept, and the drama is pretty powerful.
    So I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

Besides, when was the last time Clooney acted in a bad film?

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    Not a huge fan of Bullock in this role. Will be interesting to see how they create a workable plot considering the trailer.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Who needs a plot when we have action scenes? :biggrin:

6. Aug 27, 2013 #5

DHF

The trailer ends with her spiraling off into space with noone an nothing around her. Will be interesting to see how they save her without some super sci-fi action.

7. Sep 15, 2013 #6
    Eh, I dunno. Looks far too "Hollywood" to be gripping. Entertaining, maybe, but not gripping like Solaris, Sunshine or Moon.

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7
    I just watched Sunshine a few weeks ago. Great movie.

9. Sep 16, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

And by Solaris, I hope you mean the original Russian version by Tarkovsky, because the American remake was pure crap. IMO.

10. Sep 16, 2013 #9

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eh, I could never understand why people like Sunshine. It looks fantastic, but the story is so formulaic its borderline boring, and there's definitely too little science in its fiction.

As for Gravity, I'm having high hopes for it. It's getting rave reviews from Toronto festival folks. All signs in the sky suggest another Cuaron masterpiece. If that name doesn't ring any bells, you really should do yourself a favour and watch Children of Men.

Definitely going to see this one.

11. Sep 16, 2013 #10
    I'm sold.

12. Sep 16, 2013 #11
    I saw a preview in my local 3d IMAX that was basically one amazing orbital shot after the other. It was more breathtaking than the entire movie I actually went to see (pacific rim). Not really interested in SB whining, but the 3d IMAX space scenes will be worth it for me. Call me shallow, but scenes like that are novel enough to be exciting.

13. Sep 18, 2013 #12

FlexGunship

Gold Member

It seems like it would be hard for her to appreciate the... gravity... of the situation.

The scene with the rocket appears to be... staged.

2.jpg

Image source: http://pruplelillies.blogspot.com/2008/10/horatio-cainethe-man-we-all-love-to.html

14. Sep 28, 2013 #13
    Given the trailer it appears to me there is no possible way either can survive.

15. Sep 28, 2013 #14
    I hear this movie is a real downer.

16. Oct 2, 2013 #15
    My thoughts exactly :).

17. Oct 3, 2013 #16
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  18. Oct 3, 2013 #17
    One of my friends will be seeing the movie at an IMAX theater in 3D. This sort of movie is what 3D was made for.

19. Oct 4, 2013 #18
    I'm going to AVX probably, can't stand IMAX lol, not enough space. (no pun intended)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  20. Oct 5, 2013 #19
    98% on RT. Nothing but extreme praise. Looks like I'll have to see this!

21. Oct 5, 2013 #20

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw the movie, and I can promise people there is no crazy sci-fi explanation for how anything happens. It is almost 100% realistic and the times when it is not are very minor and I think only noticeable if you explicitly are looking to criticize the film.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted