Did the movie Pi really have a government conspiracy involving brain implants?

• Thread starter JoshHolloway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Pi
In summary: Is that your interpretation, or is that the what actually happened? I missed about ten minutes close to the end of the movie, and came in right before he drilled into his head. Was there something I missed?The idea in the movie is that the mathematical genius is due to a specific area in the brain that can be activated by drilling into it.
JoshHolloway
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It really is not all that great, and in one scene the main character, which is a mathmatician, is describing the number phi and the logarithmic spiral, but for some reason he calls it theta instead of phi. I don't know if that is completely incorrect, or if some people refer to the ratios of the golden rectangle as theta, but it seemed to make the movie seem cheesy to me. But the reason why I am taking about this movie is because I think that I figured it out. The government implanted some type of device in his brain to make him so smart he can extract an algorithm that will predict the stock market extremely accurately. The trying to predict the stock market part is made clear in the movie, but in one scene he drills into his skull with a power tool, and in the next scene he is not a genius anymore. And it does not explain this (obviously someone would either die, or cause extreme brain damage by doing this, but I am just talking about the extremely fictional scenario from this movie). Sorry if what I have written does not make any sense, it is like 2:30am and I have been studying for about 8 hours, my brain is like mush.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, technically speaking a drill to the brain might cause fairly negligible brain damage depending on where it struck and how deep it went. The much bigger concern would be blood loss, I think. Anyway, the idea was that there was some specific part of his brain that was responsible for his mathematical genius/madness, and by lesioning that area with the drill he 'cured' himself.

Is that your interpretation, or is that the what actually happened? I missed about ten minutes close to the end of the movie, and came in right before he drilled into his head. Was there something I missed?

JoshHolloway said:
Is that your interpretation, or is that the what actually happened? I missed about ten minutes close to the end of the movie, and came in right before he drilled into his head. Was there something I missed?

I don't recall the specific sequence of events, but I always thought it was fairly self-evident that that was how it was meant to be taken. From what I recall I suppose your conspiracy interpretation is consistent with the storyline also, but I don't recall anything in the movie that would really hint at that interpretation.

I thought it was a pretentious movie designed by non-science/math types to appeal to non-science/math types.

Remember max was studying all those books, and established that the area responsible for his mathematical abilities was located there..

Pi was based on a true story as well. There actually is a Max Cohen who has built his own supercomputer to analyze the New York stock exchange, and is really introvert and dosn't like people.

I tried to find his thesis on my college's databases but had no luck. I did just find http://www.pithemovie.com/who.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoshHolloway said:
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It really is not all that great, and in one scene the main character, which is a mathmatician, is describing the number phi and the logarithmic spiral, but for some reason he calls it theta instead of phi. I don't know if that is completely incorrect, or if some people refer to the ratios of the golden rectangle as theta, but it seemed to make the movie seem cheesy to me. But the reason why I am taking about this movie is because I think that I figured it out. The government implanted some type of device in his brain to make him so smart he can extract an algorithm that will predict the stock market extremely accurately. The trying to predict the stock market part is made clear in the movie, but in one scene he drills into his skull with a power tool, and in the next scene he is not a genius anymore. And it does not explain this (obviously someone would either die, or cause extreme brain damage by doing this, but I am just talking about the extremely fictional scenario from this movie). Sorry if what I have written does not make any sense, it is like 2:30am and I have been studying for about 8 hours, my brain is like mush.
Well, I saw the movie on the Sundance channel, and I rate it as "very-exceptionally good" on my rating system.

The drill part: the government device was implanted right under the skin apparently, you can see the bump in the side of his head.

I liked the Jewish extremists :biggrin:

1. What is the plot of "The movie Pi"?

The movie Pi follows the story of a mathematical genius, Max Cohen, who becomes obsessed with finding patterns in the stock market and the universe. As he delves deeper into his research, he starts to experience intense headaches and paranoia, leading him to question the true meaning of his discoveries.

2. Is "The movie Pi" based on a true story?

While the movie incorporates real mathematical concepts and theories, it is not based on a specific true story. However, the filmmaker, Darren Aronofsky, was inspired by real-life mathematicians and their struggles with obsession and mental health.

3. What is the significance of the number "Pi" in the movie?

The number "Pi" (3.14159...) represents the infinite and irrational nature of mathematics and the universe. It is also a symbol of Max's obsession and search for patterns and meaning in the chaos of the world.

4. How does "The movie Pi" portray mental illness?

The movie portrays mental illness through the character of Max, who experiences intense paranoia and delusions as a result of his obsession with finding patterns. It also touches on themes of isolation, anxiety, and the dangerous consequences of unchecked obsession.

5. What is the overall message of "The movie Pi"?

The movie explores themes of obsession, the search for meaning, and the blurred lines between science and spirituality. It ultimately suggests that humans will always strive to find patterns and meaning in the chaos of the world, but sometimes this pursuit can lead to dangerous consequences.