Exploring the Multiverse: Big Bang & Creation

In summary, according to the book "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking, quantum fluctuations may have led to the creation of tiny universes out of nothing. Some of these universes reached a critical size and expanded, forming galaxies, stars, and possibly beings like us. However, this is a speculative hypothesis and not everyone agrees with it. The concept of a multiverse is also a subject of debate, with some considering it a viable hypothesis while others do not. The multiverse, if it exists, is not causally connected to our universe and therefore cannot be tested or proven. The theories about the creation of the universe, including the Big Bang theory, are also speculative and not scientifically proven.
Priyank
People say that Multiverse doesn't exist, But as per #TheGrandDesign by Stephen Hawking,
Quantum Fluctuations led to the creation of tiny universes out of nothing. A few of these reached a critical size, then expand in an inflationary manner, formed galaxies, stars and, in at least one case, beings like us.
So, in that case, how did the quantum fluctuations take place? And how is Big Bang related to the Creation of Multiverse?

Likes Hawking14
Space news on Phys.org
The multi/mega verse is not causally connected to our singular universe and so is not falsifiable and falls on the non-science side of the demarcation boundary.

HOW the universe was created is pure speculation. We don't know. Our model (the big bang theory) only holds good back to about one Plank Time after the singularit and describes the evolution from that time forward.

Doug Huffman said:
The multi/mega verse is not causally connected to our singular universe and so is not falsifiable and falls on the non-science side of the demarcation boundary.
Sir, Thank you for your answer but can you please explain it briefly? I didn't get you... :D

Priyank said:
Sir, Thank you for your answer but can you please explain it briefly? I didn't get you... :D
I can't really think of any way to say it differently, but I'll try.

We do not know how the universe was formed. We only know how it acted AFTER it was formed. The big bang theory is what describes how the universe acted after it was formed. The big bang theory says nothing about how the universe is formed. All statements about how the universe was formed are speculation / guesses.

phinds said:
HOW the universe was created is pure speculation. We don't know. Our model (the big bang theory) only holds good back to about one Plank Time after the singularit and describes the evolution from that time forward.
But as per Classical Physics, Big Bang is the only theory that holds water.
As per you, how can you define Universe's Creation?

Priyank said:
But as per Classical Physics, Big Bang is the only theory that holds water.
that is correct
As per you, how can you define Universe's Creation?
Again, neither I nor anyone else knows how the universe was created. People have theories but so far they are not falsifiable and therefore are not science, just speculation.

In terms of causality, how might Priyank define universe? Can you effect beyond the universe or can beyond the universe effect you?

Read Karl Poppers The Logic of Scientific Discovery for falsifiability criteria.

Doug Huffman said:
In terms of causality, how might Priyank define universe? Can you effect beyond the universe or can beyond the universe effect you?

Read Karl Poppers The Logic of Scientific Discovery for falsifiability criteria.
Humans are curious species, they seek answers, but very few of those have a valid proof/history... I too am confused and don't know the mystery behind its Creation...

I think the Creation of Universe hides behind the Creation of Multiverse...
If Multiverse is there, then Universe came into existence by Quantum Fluctuation, as I earlier said...

Priyank said:
People say that Multiverse doesn't exist,
It's rather like some people say that multiverse is a viable hypothesis, while others disagree. Furthermore, there are different multiverse hypotheses. See also e.g. the paper "Multiversality" (Frank Wilczek), abstract:

Multiversality by Frank Wilczek said:
Valid ideas that physical reality is vastly larger than human perception of it, and that the perceived part may not be representative of the whole, exist on many levels and have a long history. After a brief general inventory of those ideas and their implications, I consider the cosmological “multiverse” much discussed in recent scientific literature. I review its theoretical and (broadly) empirical motivations, and its disruptive implications for the traditional program of fundamental physics. I discuss the inflationary axion cosmology, which provides an example where firmly rooted, plausible ideas from microphysics lead to a well-characterized “mini-multiverse” scenario, with testable phenomenological consequences.

and there is also a 7 pages long thread with inputs and links from many members here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/multiverse-evidence-explanation.697051/

Priyank said:
So, in that case, how did the quantum fluctuations take place?
It's an open question. See e.g. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/open_questions.html#cosmology

DennisN said:
It's rather like some people say that multiverse is a viable hypothesis, while others disagree. Furthermore, there are different multiverse hypotheses. See also e.g. the paper "Multiversality" (Frank Wilczek), abstract:
and there is also a 7 pages long thread with inputs and links from many members here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/multiverse-evidence-explanation.697051/It's an open question. See e.g. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/open_questions.html#cosmology
If Multiverse doesn't exist, then it what is The Universe expanding? It is nothing but the Multiverse

Priyank said:
then it what is The Universe expanding?
I don't understand this question. Can you please rephrase it?

DennisN said:
I don't understand this question. Can you please rephrase it?
If there is no Multiverse, then in what is the Universe expanding? Its possibly the Multiverse...

Priyank said:
If there is no Multiverse, then in what is the Universe expanding? Its possibly the Multiverse...
No, the universe it not expanding INTO anything. The universe is everything there is. If there IS a multiverse (and I am one who believes there is not) then it does not matter at all since it is totally disconnected from our universe and has nothing to do with our universe. There is no edge to our universe, there is no center to our universe, our universe is all there is, it is not expanding into anything.

Priyank said:
as per Classical Physics, Big Bang is the only theory that holds water.

But in your OP, you mentioned quantum fluctuations, which aren't modeled by classical physics. Which do you want to ask about, classical physics or quantum physics?

As for what you mentioned Hawking as saying, about quantum fluctuations creating tiny universes, that is a speculative hypothesis; it is not established. Not everybody agrees with that hypothesis, which is why you find people saying that the multiverse does not exist.

Also, The Grand Design is a popular science book; it is not a textbook or a peer-reviewed paper. So it is not really an acceptable reference here on PF. Popular science books are not good sources to use if you actually want to learn the science, as opposed to just getting a brief description of it. You should be looking at textbooks and papers on relativity, quantum physics, and cosmology.

phinds said:
No, the universe it not expanding INTO anything. The universe is everything there is. If there IS a multiverse (and I am one who believes there is not) then it does not matter at all since it is totally disconnected from our universe and has nothing to do with our universe. There is no edge to our universe, there is no center to our universe, our universe is all there is, it is not expanding into anything.
If Multiverse exists, then we can clearly come to the conclusion that Universe came into existence by quantum fluctuation... As a result, the Big Bang will fail to hold water, which you consider a speculation...
I've some clips of some pages of The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking, please consult them after I post them.

Priyank said:
in what is the Universe expanding? Its possibly the Multiverse...

No, it isn't. Even if some version of the multiverse hypothesis is true, our universe is not expanding into the multiverse, because the multiverse is not a pre-existing space into which the tiny universes expand. Each universe is its own self-contained spacetime; the multiverse is just an abstract term for the underlying quantum field in which the fluctuations take place, but that field has no space or time.

Priyank said:
If Multiverse exists, then we can clearly come to the conclusion that Universe came into existence by quantum fluctuation...

Yes, if the multiverse exists. But, as I said in my previous post, the multiverse is a speculative hypothesis; it is not established. So you can't treat it as if it were established fact, because it isn't.

Priyank said:
As a result, the Big Bang will fail to hold water

This is not correct. The Big Bang theory does not claim that there was an initial singularity; it only claims that our universe, at early times, was in a hot, dense state and was expanding very fast. That is compatible with a number of different hypotheses about what came before the hot, dense state; the multiverse is just one such hypothesis.

Priyank said:
I've some clips of some pages of The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking,

As I said in my previous post, The Grand Design is not an acceptable reference. If you want to talk further about the multiverse hypothesis, you need to find acceptable references.

DennisN said:
I will also post a clip for you in a while. I've got to go find it on youtube first...:)
This was the clip I was thinking about: "Misconceptions About the Universe", .

DennisN said:
This was the clip I was thinking about: "Misconceptions About the Universe",
Thank you for the clip... :D

o:)There are certain conditions without which the universe could not have existed and life would not have started on this planet.Thus,the existence of multiverse seems quite verified. Say,for example,
if the universe expanded just a little faster right after the big bang,the universe would be effectively empty and the gravitational attraction between the particulate matter would be too weak to form interstellar objects. If multiverses are to exist, one universe may be successful by expanding at just the right speed while another universe may not be succesful.?:)

Last edited:
progyan said:
Thus,the existence of multiverses seems quite
verified.
Absolutely not. Please provide a reference for this claim ;).

Verification is finding another white swan. Falsification is finding one Black Swan. Falsifiability is casting the question/hypothesis to at least allow a search for the Black Swan. Ad-hockery is shoring up a failed assertion.

progyan said:
Say,for example,
if the universe expanded just a little faster right after the big bang,the universe would be effectively empty and the gravitational attraction between the particulate matter would be too weak to form interstellar objects. If multiverses are to exist, one universe may be successful by expanding at just the right speed while another universe may not be succesful.
Comment to your edited post: This is not evidence of a multiverse.

You're right. I did make a small mistake. I am not very good with my choice of words. When I posted on this topic, I was just stating my opinion. You may not agree with my perception. So, I apologize for claiming to have "evidence" which I obviously don't.

progyan said:
You're right. I did make a small mistake. I am not very good with my choice of words. When I posted on this topic, I was just stating my opinion. You may not agree with my perception. So, I apologize for claiming to have "evidence" which I obviously don't.
No problem :) (for what it's worth, I am personally at the moment somewhat open to the general idea of a multiverse, but I can not argue for or against it, as I find there is too little on the scientific table for me to form an opinion of it).

The OP's question has been answered. Thread closed.

What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and expansion of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a single point of infinite density and temperature, approximately 13.8 billion years ago. The singularity then rapidly expanded and cooled, creating the universe as we know it.

How was the Big Bang Theory developed?

The Big Bang Theory was developed through observations and mathematical calculations by scientists such as Edwin Hubble, Albert Einstein, and Georges Lemaître. These scientists studied the movement and composition of galaxies, as well as the theory of general relativity, to propose the idea of an expanding universe.

What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the redshift of galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe. Additionally, the theory accurately predicts the distribution of galaxies and the amount of helium in the universe.

What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory proposes that there may be multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. This theory is often used to explain the fine-tuning of our universe and the existence of different possible outcomes and realities.

How does the Big Bang relate to the creation of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the creation of the universe, based on observable evidence and mathematical calculations. It does not conflict with religious or spiritual beliefs about the creation of the universe, but rather provides a scientific understanding of how the universe came to be.