Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The music that defines your life

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking the other day [a rare event ] about certain consistencies in my life. As I get older I realize that some things once thought to be permanent are gone; and other influences that I thought were transient factors in life have become permanent. One of the most notable of these consistencies is music. It has often amazed me to hear songs that I once thought were sooooo cool that now sound silly, or childish, or trite. However, it amazes me even more to realize that I still love some of the same music that I did as a teenager. The contrast is quite interesting in this regard.

Obviously we grow and change and gain a broader perspective and appreciation for music, but I suspect that for reasons of culture, popular issues, "a sense of time and place" and a variety of other factors, most people find that some music sticks with them uniquely, forever. It comes to define their life in a sense. For me, I guess this would be the music of Elton John. When I studied music [piano] as a kid, in addition to the standard classics like the three B's, I was also allowed to learn anything by EJ. Some of his music still touches my soul now just as much as it did in 1973; Funeral for a Friend is one example of this. I have probably played and listened to this song a couple thousand times over the years. He’s not the most talented, or the deepest, or the most appealing performer, I don’t rate him along the greats like Mozart or Bach, and I have surely never like his flamboyance, but this man [and Bernie Taupin] can write music that just gets to me time after time. I just never get tired of hearing some of his songs. Especially songs like Your Song, Daniel, or “Candle in the Wind”

How about you? What music defines your life?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2004 #2
    Dave Clark says:"Music is the soundtrack of our lives."

You end up places where they play the radio. It isn't your music. Not what you'd go and buy for yourself, but certain tunes work their way under your skin.

Years later when you hear them by accident it pulls you back to the time and place they were running in the background.

I probably have a couple hundred or more of these tunes, most of them: I have no idea of the group or singer's name.

I worked at a bakery for a while where the people played a new Bowie album over and over. There was one song that he sang all or part in German: "Ja, sind Wir Helden! In einer Nacht.", or something like that. Anyone know what album that was? What the name of the song was?

4. Jan 30, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about the Bowie album...but I bet Tsunami would know. I am a big Bowie fan but she's a BOWIE FAN.

5. Jan 30, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

6. Jan 30, 2004 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

For me it is The Rolling Stones. They were never my favorite, but I never stopped liking them ... well. I never stopped liking their old stuff. I haven't liked anything they've done in a while.

I was 2 when December's Children came out in 1965. I sang along with the chorus of "Get off of my cloud". When my kids were 2, they danced around like maniacs to "Paint it black".

Njorl

7. Jan 30, 2004 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lots of bands in general-- I think The Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, and The Verve in particular will always be up there for me. As for those certain songs that always remain tied to a certain moment in time-- for me a few poignant ones that stand out are "Twilight" by The Verve, "Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan, and "A Summer Wasting" by Belle and Sebastian. I will never be able to listen to those without remembering a certain emotion in a certain moment in time when they were playing. They are all tied in to the evolution of my relationship with my girlfriend, from the bittersweet beginning to the very difficult transition to the eventual joyful resolution. (It was all very complicated. ) But I can listen to any of those and be transported back to those various points in time.

8. Jan 30, 2004 #7
    Yes, it was "Helden" ,a German version of Heroes, from "Heroes", the Bowie anwer to "Berlin" of Lou Reed. Which brings me to... Pachelbel's canon. A summary of life in 5 minutes.

9. Jan 30, 2004 #8
    Any idea what album the German version is on?

See also the first prelude in C major to the Well Tempered Clavier, book 1. It's Life.

10. Jan 30, 2004 #9
    Some of the music that I've stuck with through the years is Billy Joel and James Taylor. I have ecclectical tastes though. Everything from currrent pop,rap, blues, to heavy metal, But those two have stuck with me for whatever reason. And they aren't even from my time.

11. Jan 30, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My musical taste is all over the board.

I always have and always will enjoy classical & some operas, as well as Irish/Celtic music - Clannad, The Chieftans.

I LOVE Pearl Jam.

I don't think I will ever tire of The Cure, Cars, Modern English - Melt With You, Tears for Fears, When in Rome - Promise.

Of course I love the "old" Beatles & Stones. Mothers of Invention, Spirit, Jimmi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow, they went downhill after that. Cream - Pressed rat & warthog, ok & the other songs too.

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed is phenomenal.

Leo Kottke, incredible guitarist, 6 & 12 string.

I also like Incubus, Blink 182, & most of my daughter's music (punk) (the emo kinda makes me cringe though), I mean, why do they have to ruin a perfectly good song by screaming??

12. Jan 30, 2004 #11
    Ermmm...Did you mean to say Dick Clark???

13. Jan 30, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

GOOD GOD, WOMAN!! WE WERE SEPERATED AT BIRTH!!! I've never met ANYONE else who loved (much less even KNEW) Leo Kottke!! I have to disagree with the screaming part, tho. That's what a lot of music of our day WAS! Look at Janis - the best screamer that ever lived!! Cheap Thrills is still one of my favorites. Ok - she was a little before my time - but her version of 'Summertime' just blows me away... (BTW...I'm baaaack... Camping - this summer - almost exactly 6 miles south of Eureka on the east side of highway 1 - bring dark chocolate!! Exact date TBA, but start buying the chocolate now - in case there is a shortage )

14. Jan 30, 2004 #13
    Eh? You said you'd been to Minnesota. All the Norwegian bachelorette farmers want to marry Leo, and all the bachelor farmers want to play like him.

15. Jan 30, 2004 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen Kottke play in Santa Cruz. :) Very good stuff. I don't want to emulate him though, really.

My favorite bands? Pink Floyd, U2, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Incubus... lately I've been into a lot of trip-hop: Thievery Corporation, Hooverphonic, Morcheeba, and others. Plus, of course, classic stuff like Hendrix and Cream.

- Warren

16. Jan 30, 2004 #15

Evo

I fear what would happen if we were ever both in the same place at the same time! We do kinda look alike, I think...(takes out microscope to view waterskiing picture).
    I used to date a guy that worked at Liberty Hall in Houston (small place for performers like Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Bruce Springsteen (before he became famous) and he would let me play the intermission music and I would play Kottke and people would always ask me who it was.

Janis belted it out, but I'm talking "screaming", not singing IMHO. I saw her in concert in Houston, Big Brother and the Holding Company. Ok, I was young, but I was ahead of my time, and I had an older friend who took me with her to the concerts. I saw Hendrix, the Doors, Janis, the Who, Led Zeppelin a couple of times, Frank Zappa & the Mothers (so cool) ok I saw everyone back then. I'm glad I did.

People bring something besides dark chocolate on camping trips? How odd... :wink:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  17. Jan 30, 2004 #16

Evo

Wow, you're pretty well rounded also...

18. Jan 30, 2004 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo,

1100 albums can't be wrong...

- Warren

19. Jan 30, 2004 #18

Evo

Whoa!!!!!!! I've got to ask...when did you have the time with all of your other pursuits??? Come clean, you've figured out how to stop time, right? :wink:

20. Jan 30, 2004 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm something of a music collector, and I have found some quite efficient means to, uh, procure music. I tend to download 2-3 albums a night, since it only takes a few minutes.

Honestly, I have far too much music. It would take me quite a number of years to go through and listen to every minute of every album.

Maybe I have an addiction?

- Warren

21. Jan 31, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

This is true, Zooby. But I was very young, and the size/bulk and smelly hairyness of the adults in my family scared the bejesus out of me so badly, so I just hid. (hmmmm...hairy, smelly...no WONDER you want one of them as a mail-order bride!! Hope you get one of the female ones!! ) Plus, my taste in music at that time was more along the lines of hop-scotch tunes, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?