Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Myers-Briggs test

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I have taken this a few times over the years and scored alternately as INTJ and INFJ.

We had a thread on this before and most people on PF (IIRC) scored as INTJs.

What do you think about this test? Is it informative? Garbage? I haven't quite made up my mind because I think in some ways it reflects my preferences, but I could also see myself in any of the descriptions of these personality types (like with zodiac signs) depending on my mood.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought it was fairly accurate. I've been both INTJ, ENTJ. I was given this test as part of my job years ago, we also had to take a test on personality types called DISC, I don't think you can take the actual test online for free though. I've seem some "similar" DISC tests. I was a high I, with S secondary, then C, D. By the time I was adminitered the test the secong time a few years later (at work), I had a much higher D rating.

I think DISC is excellent.

4. Dec 23, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never heard of DISC. I am going to look that up.

Is the C part for clumsiness? :biggrin:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  5. Dec 23, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

INTJ.

very expressed introvert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

distinctively expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed judging personality

6. Dec 23, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No one seems introverted on the internet.

7. Dec 23, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did one of these once, I was being hired at a consultancy.
    Their recruitment policy was Ivy league PhD in Maths/Physics and 10years experience - they then did an MB test to see if you had the right personality for working in a technical role!

"Yes professor we like your anti-gravity machine but our test shows you are intuitive rather than reasoning so you aren't really suitable for science."

8. Dec 23, 2008 #7

I am.:uhh: Then again maybe not.:biggrin:

9. Dec 23, 2008 #8
    ENTJ, I remember the last time I took this on PF, I got a different result...

10. Dec 23, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez, I want to laugh, but that is just really sad. I've met some pretty wacky HR people so I believe it.

11. Dec 23, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

My results are a bit slewed, i would answer some questions differently if i had some interesting people to talk to.

12. Dec 23, 2008 #11
    INTP here. I doubted the MBTI at first but every test I've taken has yielded consistent results and the profiles do match my personality very well. The best test I've taken is the ddli:

http://www.ling.rochester.edu/~duniho/ddli/

13. Dec 23, 2008 #12
    I am an entj and my wife is a esfj. Seems to be fairly accurate. Interesting profile analysis. My wife is an angel and I am a bossy prick. lol

14. Dec 23, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

INFP, though I've taken this test and been an ENFP.

I find it a useful test. I used to work at a place that gave this test to everyone, and it helped me recognize the sometimes a person isn't being a jackass just to be a jackass, but rather, their behavior is just due to their temperment.

15. Dec 23, 2008 #14
    is everyone on the internet a jackass? or is their behaviour due to their impairment?

16. Dec 24, 2008 #15
    Your Type is
    ENFP
    You are:
    moderately expressed extravert
    distinctively expressed intuitive personality
    moderately expressed feeling personality
    slightly expressed perceiving personality
    Essentially the exact opposite of how I scored last time I took this test. The questions that time were more oriented to work than to socializing however.

In my work everything is done by the books, carefully, planned out. I don't want to be bothered, and I certainly do not wish to waste my time thinking about "what ifs" when I'm still working on one part of it.

On the other hand, in my social life, I enjoy thinking about all possible situations that could result from every action, and spontaneous ideas are fun.

17. Jul 1, 2010 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

My wife is taking a behavioral psychology class in which this particular site was mentioned in a discussion with a few classmates. I figured I'd see if there was a thread on PF about it (as I do with just about anything that's caught my interest).

I took the test twice - the first time through, I took the test alone and answered each question as honestly as I could. The second time through, I had my better half answer the questions for me. She agreed with all but three of my responses, and I found her explanations to be much more convincing than my own, so I changed them. :biggrin:

The final results:

-INTJ-

Strength of preference percent:

Introverted: 67 (The 3 questions I changed brought this figure up from what was previously a 50)
    Intuitive: 62
    Thinking: 88
    Judging: 78

I did have issues with a few of the questions/situations/statements, the main one being:

"You are consistent in your habits." Yes/No?

:confused: Isn't consistency required to satisfy the very definition of the word "habit?"

Aside from a bit of ambiguity, I feel like the test is fairly accurate in representing my responses/choices in the situations presented. The site also provided links to other sites, such as this one, that seemed to confirm the claims made about "my" personality type. Interesting stuff!

18. Jul 1, 2010 #17
    Your Type is
    INTJ
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    Strength of the preferences %
    100 12 50 44

I believe it is accurate : http://typelogic.com/intj.html

I have been in many small troubles at work particularly because of this and I had been wondering why for a long time now

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  19. Jul 1, 2010 #18
    Oh, this test.

I always end up moderate INT and then borderline P/J. Seems as reasonably accurate as such a test can be.

20. Jul 1, 2010 #19
    INTP. When reading the results, I feel like I'm reading a horoscope. How specific ARE these 'results' as opposed to what an astrologer might tell me?

21. Jul 1, 2010 #20
    I don't know how good this specific test is, but the MB test is generally considered one of the more reliable tests.

Your Type is
    INTJ
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    Strength of the preferences %
    22 88 38 1

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* slightly expressed introvert
    * very expressed intuitive personality
    * moderately expressed thinking personality
    * slightly expressed judging personality

Heh. Roughly what I usually get. Some parts of the description of the personality was spot-on (wanting people to make sense, knowing what I know and don't know, capable of affection but people being turned off by my aura of confidence), others were a bit off (I'm not much of a perfectionist). Some of the INTP descriptions were more accurate (though I felt they were more off in general than the INTJ ones)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?