The mystery of the blue vs yellow checkmark.

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, after a recent upgrade, some users noticed a blue checkmark instead of the previous yellow one in their address bar on Physics Forums. The difference in checkmark color was found to be dependent on whether the URL contained "www" or not. However, it was discovered that the checkmark is simply a "favicon" with no functional value and is purely aesthetic. It was reported that the blue checkmark may have been a result of a cache issue and that it does not apply to Internet Explorer users. The issue was also observed in the Opera browser. Eventually, the checkmarks disappeared altogether after an update, along with other unexpected behaviors.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, shortly after the upgrade, someone had pointed out they had a blue checkmark instead of a yellow one up in their address bar. For a while I still had the old yellow one, then sometimes I'd get a blue one after clicking around PF for a while, etc. I finally solved the mystery of when I get yellow vs blue checkmarks. If I put www in front of physicsforums.com, I get the yellow one, if I don't have www in front, I get the blue one.

Try it and see:
www.physicsforums.com
https://www.physicsforums.com

Now, I'm wondering, what's the difference? Most sites will just automatically redirect you to whichever one you're supposed to use...I think. Should we be using one preferentially over the other or anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
The icon has no functional value. It's referred to as a "favicon". Most large websites use them in order to standout in visitors bookmarked website lists. The checkmark is the default vb favicon. Pre 3.5 was yellow, post 3.5 is blue. Why the browser is showing different favicon's when adding or subtracting the www I'm not sure, it might be a cache issue. Anyway, it makes no difference what url variation you want to use to get to PF, and the favicon is purely aesthetic.

Moonbear said:
So, shortly after the upgrade, someone had pointed out they had a blue checkmark instead of a yellow one up in their address bar. For a while I still had the old yellow one, then sometimes I'd get a blue one after clicking around PF for a while, etc. I finally solved the mystery of when I get yellow vs blue checkmarks. If I put www in front of physicsforums.com, I get the yellow one, if I don't have www in front, I get the blue one.
Try it and see:
www.physicsforums.com
https://www.physicsforums.com
Now, I'm wondering, what's the difference? Most sites will just automatically redirect you to whichever one you're supposed to use...I think. Should we be using one preferentially over the other or anything?
It doesn't even apply to IE users. There is no checkmark.

Sometimes IE stores favicons and sometimes not. Not sure why.

They're both blue for me too, firefox.

mattmns said:
They're both blue for me too, firefox.
Same here.

Anyone else using Opera ?

SpaceTiger said:
They're both blue for me (using Firefox). Like Greg, I would be prone to suspect the cache.

I've cleared the cache many times...right after there were reports of blue checkmarks (several times following the upgrade actually, because I do silly things like clear the cache in hopes of getting pretty blue checkmarks :rolleyes:). When I got blue checkmarks to appear a few times, I immediately cleared the cache, and it didn't make the yellow version go away on my next visit. Anyway, I changed my bookmark to not include www because I just happen to think the blue version is prettier. :cool:

Actually, if I recall, last time I used Opera (on this same computer I use Safari), I had blue checkmarks. I didn't pay attention when I was fiddling with Firefox yesterday (I was fussing more with trying to figure out if there was a way to make the fonts look less hideous on that, and how to change the themes in XP...icky lab computer).

As long as there's no significance to which I choose, that's all that's really important.

MB, maybe that is because you updates your bookmark? Maybe try making a new Bookmark of PF.

Looking at my Bookmarks, my PF Bookmark Icon is yellow, but my Tab Icon is always blue :smile:http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/9573/pficons8ge.png

I need to clean up my bookmarks :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did update my bookmark once I figured out the difference, and cleared the cache since, but I still get the yellow if I include the www part. Weird, huh?

Hmm weird indeed. I just made two new pf bookmarks, one with www, and the other without, and they are both Blue. With firefox though. And now that I clicked on my yellow one, it is no longer yellow :smile:

Well, today's update took care of that problem...no checkmarks at all anymore. All my cute little favicons (now that I know what they're called :biggrin:) are gone! :cry: Just little blue globes for everything. :frown: Well, that along with some other bizarre behaviors that arrived with the update that took a few restarts to make go away. :bugeye:

uhhh, what little arrows are we talking 'bout.

If they are the one I think they are, they are always blue.

What is the mystery of the blue vs yellow checkmark?

The mystery of the blue vs yellow checkmark refers to the color difference in checkmarks used on social media platforms, specifically Twitter and Instagram. Some users have a blue checkmark while others have a yellow checkmark, and it has caused confusion and speculation among users.

Why do some users have a blue checkmark and others have a yellow checkmark?

The blue checkmark indicates that the account has been verified by the platform, meaning that the user is who they claim to be. This is usually reserved for public figures, celebrities, and brands. The yellow checkmark, on the other hand, indicates that the account is authentic, but it does not necessarily mean that the user is a public figure or a celebrity.

How does a user get a blue checkmark?

The process of getting a blue checkmark varies from platform to platform, but generally, it involves providing proof of identity and/or a significant following on the platform. Each platform has its own criteria for verification, and not all users are eligible for a blue checkmark.

Is there a difference in status between users with a blue checkmark and those with a yellow checkmark?

Yes, there is a difference in status between users with a blue checkmark and those with a yellow checkmark. The blue checkmark is seen as a status symbol and is often associated with credibility and importance. Users with a blue checkmark may also have access to features and tools that are not available to users with a yellow checkmark.

Can a user lose their blue or yellow checkmark?

Yes, a user can lose their blue or yellow checkmark. If a user violates the platform's terms of service or community guidelines, they may have their verification status revoked. This can also happen if the user changes their username, as the verification is tied to the specific username that went through the verification process.