The National Society of Collegiate Scholars

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
In summary, the NSCS is an organization that requires a 3.4 GPA and charges $75 to join. It is part of the ACHS and focuses on leadership development and community service. While it can be a good resume filler, it is more beneficial for those who are actively involved. Some may see it as a scam, but others view it as a valuable opportunity for personal and community growth.
physstudent1
I have been invited to join this organization the NSCS I'm wondering if any of you can provide insight, I have never really heard of them. I basically want to know if they are just trying to get money from college students or are they worth joining...? (They charge 75 dollars to join!) Being a poor college student I do not have 75 dollars to blow on some scam.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's part of the ACHS ,so I don't think it's a scam. They basically require a 3.4 and above gpa. Like most honor societies, it's a good resume filler. To get the most out of it, you should probably be an active member.

However, I never joined them. I wasn't really into being part of honor societies.

thanks a lot I appreciate it.

I was the former president of my universities chapter as an undergrad. It is not a scam, but as the previous poster mentioned it isn't really good for anything unless you participate.

The organization focuses on developing leadership and providing community service. Most chapters have fairly small active groups which would give someone a chance to move into a leadership position easily if he/she desired.

It is a good group and if you are interested in doing something good for yourself (outside of studying) and the community that you live in I would recommend joining. However, if you are just looking for something to stick on your resume, don't bother.

1. What is the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS)?

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars is an honor society that recognizes and elevates high-achieving college students. It was founded in 1994 and has over 1 million members from over 330 colleges and universities across the United States.

2. How do I become a member of the NSCS?

To become a member of the NSCS, you must be invited by your college or university. Invitations are typically extended to students who have achieved high academic success and demonstrated leadership and community involvement. Once you receive an invitation, you can complete the membership application and pay the one-time membership fee.

3. What are the benefits of joining the NSCS?

As a member of the NSCS, you will have access to a variety of benefits including scholarships, leadership opportunities, networking events, career resources, and discounts on various products and services. Additionally, being a part of the NSCS can enhance your resume and demonstrate your academic and leadership achievements to potential employers.

4. Is the NSCS a legitimate organization?

Yes, the NSCS is a legitimate organization with a long-standing history of recognizing and supporting high-achieving college students. It is registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is accredited by the Association of College Honor Societies.

5. Can I still join the NSCS if I did not receive an invitation?

Unfortunately, no. The NSCS only accepts members who have been invited by their college or university. However, if you believe you meet the eligibility requirements and did not receive an invitation, you can contact the NSCS headquarters to inquire about the possibility of receiving an invitation.