The National Year of the Bible

• News
  • Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
The pilgrims left for America because they wanted to introduce harsh religious restrictions. They first left for Amsterdam in the hope of finding a less liberal attitude - this was about the level of strategic thinking that accompanied the rest of their endeavor.
Not too dissimilar from the Jonestown project. Good thing the pilgrims didn't have Kool-Aid. Plenty of them died anyway simply from underestimating the severity of New England winters, though if they had consulted with the European fishermen who had been exploiting NE fisheries for long before the pilgrims showed up, they might have had a clue. All latitudes are not created equal.

Alfi
I believe that all religions need to be treated equally.
I agree!
but I believe All religions should be questioned on a personal basis. As in, where did you acquire this belief? What facts prove this belief?
And the religions that cannot justify their beliefs should be abandoned.

mheslep
Gold Member
Of that there is no doubt, but how does that have anything to do with the Constitutionality of the proposed bill? A national year of the bible endorses Christianity - it is about as plain a violation of the establishment clause as there could be.
This thing is a resolution, not a law or bill. Congress is free to resolve tomorrow morning that Physics Forums is the greatest web presence in the history of the world and in the afternoon resolve that the Constitution be balled up and trashed, all without care to the Constituion. This particular resolution is however, in my opinion, foolish.

Last edited:
drankin
I agree!
but I believe All religions should be questioned on a personal basis. As in, where did you acquire this belief? What facts prove this belief?
Abandoned by who? What constitutes a justification in a belief system? What is justified by one is not by another.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I agree!
Religious beliefs are based on faith, not proof. Many do fail. For example, how many Shakers have you seen lately? :biggrin: