Exploring the Tangibility of Energy: Theoretical Concepts and Measurable Tests

In summary, energy is a measurable quantity that is derived from more basic measurements such as force, displacement, and temperature. It is a theoretical concept that is relative to a reference frame and is not measured directly. There are different types of energy, such as kinetic and potential energy, which are relative to different factors depending on the type of energy being measured. While energy may seem like a complicated concept, it is a fundamental aspect of physics and is essential in understanding the behavior of nature.
Mad_Eye said:
so relative to what are you measure it?
Relative to whatever coordinate system is convenient. All you have to do is specify the coordinate system you are using.
Mad_Eye said:
and what doest it mean a box of chocolate contains X amount of jouls?
In means that if you burn it in a bomb calorimeter you get X J of thermal energy released. This is a measure of the chemical rest energy, so it is frame invariant.

Physics news on Phys.org
This concept of absolute versus relative "energy" has me confused.

I am not a theoretical physicist, but it seems to me, zero is an imaginary number, and there is no way to measure "zero" anything.

Therefore when we assign a number value to a measured quantity, we always assign some state of existence a "zero" value, when in fact, the exact amount of the quantity in the universe is indeterminable.

Perhaps a reference frame is invariant, and apparently the amount of chemical energy is the same when we burn two samples of a similar mass and material regardless of the numbers and units assigned. However, in no way am I convinced that a number assigned to a measurement is in anyway an absolute quantity, because there is a choice in which number to assign to the quantity.

The laws of physics should predict the same differences in energy during a process when we account for reference frame and unit transformations, so what is absolute in this process besides the methods applied by observers being consistently defined and applied?

SystemTheory said:
zero is an imaginary number
Is 0^2 negative?
SystemTheory said:
and there is no way to measure "zero" anything.
Why?
SystemTheory said:
The laws of physics should predict the same differences in energy during a process when we account for reference frame and unit transformations,
A process like acceleration might not even take place in some frames. Energy conservation is valid within a frame not between frames.

Zero is a memory process. If I say "there are zero elephants in the room," you must first imagine one elephant to understand the quantity "zero elephants." Elephants exist but zero elephants exists as an imaginary number, not as zero elephants! Can you measure zero without a positive definition attached to the idea of zero?

Here are the definitions of SI base units.

http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenA.html

The numbers assigned to measured physical quantities under these definitions are different than if one applies British Engineering units, so the numbers are relative.

Someone mention's Planck's constant above. A google search shows the number for this constant is a variable depending on which system of units is applied. If the numbers vary then what is meant by "absolute" measurement?

SystemTheory said:
This concept of absolute versus relative "energy" has me confused.

I am not a theoretical physicist, but it seems to me, zero is an imaginary number, and there is no way to measure "zero" anything.
Sure you can. Obviously you can only measure any number (including zero) to within the precision of your measuring device, but within that limit you can easily measure zero. Also, as A.T. mentioned 0 is a real number.
SystemTheory said:
Perhaps a reference frame is invariant, and apparently the amount of chemical energy is the same when we burn two samples of a similar mass and material regardless of the numbers and units assigned. However, in no way am I convinced that a number assigned to a measurement is in anyway an absolute quantity, because there is a choice in which number to assign to the quantity.

The laws of physics should predict the same differences in energy during a process when we account for reference frame and unit transformations, so what is absolute in this process besides the methods applied by observers being consistently defined and applied?
I can't parse this at all. If you think it is important and would like an answer then could you please rephrase it?

Yes, I confused the appropriate terms used for conventional number theory. Still, calling zero or negative numbers "real" does not imply anything other than a conventional name.

I think my points are valid just the same.

SystemTheory said:
Yes, I confused the appropriate terms used for conventional number theory. Still, calling zero or negative numbers "real" does not imply anything other than a conventional name.

I think my points are valid just the same.
They might be, but I can't understand them enough to tell. The "conventional names" and "appropriate terms" are important because they aid communication. Please try to use them correctly to get your point across.

DaleSpam,

"A number without a unit is meaningless," my old professor used to say. When I measure zero of some quantity, I do so with respect to a positive definition of that quantity, and I assume something positive is absent in the problem.

An example is NASA failure due to confusing MKS units and British Engineering units in the Mars climate orbirter. The project burned up because the programmers specified numbers in one system and the thrust engineers assumed the other system, so the thrust was wrong.

If the procedure to assign numbers and units is via a relative convention, that can be altered by intention or accident, then how does one "measure" energy in an absolute sense if the numbers assigned are relative to many socially agreed upon arbitrary definitions?

I think that states my question properly. The symbolic equations are the same, but the numbers we assign can never come up with some absolute scale of energy, as far as I can fathom at this point.

OK, I think I understand your objection. Let me try out this example and see if I am getting the point. Let's use the famous E=mc² formula to calculate the invariant energy released from the annihilation of an electron and a positron in their mutual rest frame.

The rest mass of an electron or positron is 9.1E-31 kg and c is 3.0E8 m/s so the energy released is (2 9.1E-31 kg) (3.0E8 m/s)² = 1.6E-13 J. All reference frames agree that 1.6E-13 J was released.

The rest mass of an electron or positron is 511 keV/c² and c is c so the energy released is (2 511 keV/c²) (c²) = 1.02 MeV. All reference frames agree that 1.02 MeV was released.

Is your concern: how can all reference frames absolutely agree that 1.6E-13 J was released if they can also all absolutely agree that 1.02 MeV was released? If so the answer is that 1.6E-13 J = 1.02 MeV, they are the same thing.

DaleSpam,

I appreciate your concrete example and effort to address my question.

Look at it again. Doesn't your example demonstrate my original closing comment where an observer applies a law of physics, describes standard units of measure, and then considers the net change in energy during a process to be equivalent in two relative unit systems?

I know the change in energy is the same for this particular process when measured, but in what sense does measuring the energy of a process give us an absolute reference point?

SystemTheory said:
Look at it again. Doesn't your example demonstrate my original closing comment where an observer applies a law of physics, describes standard units of measure, and then considers the net change in energy during a process to be equivalent in two relative unit systems?
Yes, the change in energy is equivalent in both J and eV.

SystemTheory said:
I know the change in energy is the same for this particular process when measured, but in what sense does measuring the energy of a process give us an absolute reference point?
In the sense that all coordinate systems (reference frames) will agree on this value. Btw, I prefer the term "invariant" to "absolute" because it is more clear.

Physical properties are not abstractions. What are abstract are the way that we refer to them, representing them by making vocal sounds, or marks with ink on paper going from left to right, etc. The things to which the symbols refer exist objectively. The forms of expression are creations of the mind. This distinction is confused by those who say that the physical properties are abstractions.

DaleSpam,

I appreciate the extra effort. I must investigate the nature of invariant reference frames to improve my understanding.

It is still my understanding that the Conservation Laws only allow us to measure and specify that the change in energy during an interaction, measured in both the system and surroundings, equals zero. This is accomplished by assigning energy states in any relative manner consistent with good measurement procedures, and there is no absolute energy value involved in the process.

If I live in a universe that is a vast sea of energy in perpetual motion (transferring power continuously) ... where in the heck am I going to discover "the one and only zero energy" reference point?

To imagine zero energy I must picture non-existence!

mikelepore said:
Physical properties are not abstractions.
I think you just misunderstand what 'abstraction' means in that context. It just means a generalization of a concept, so it is applicable to a broader set of observed phenomena.

mikelepore said:
What are abstract are the way that we refer to them, representing them by making vocal sounds, or marks with ink on paper going from left to right, etc.
No, the vocal sounds and marks with ink on paper are not abstractions, but 'real' objects. They are just used to communicate abstract ideas.

mikelepore said:
This distinction is confused by those who say that the physical properties are abstractions.
I think that you confuse 'real' objects and their abstract properties. Let me give you an example:

Mathematical abstraction:

A heap of 5 apples: The apples are 'real', but the number 5 is just a human idea, and the amount of entities is an abstract property of the heap of apples. It is called abstract, because it is not only applicable to this heap of apples, but all kinds of collections of all kinds of objects.

Physical abstraction:

A heap of variably sized sticks: The sticks are 'real', but their length is an abstract property of a stick. It is called abstract, because it is not only applicable to a certain stick, but to other sticks and many different objects.

SystemTheory said:
where in the heck am I going to discover "the one and only zero energy" reference point?
You can set your zero energy wherever is convenient for most forms of energy. I think you are confusing invariance under gauge transformations with invariance under coordinate transformations.