The Nearly Free Electron Model

In summary: Your name]In summary, the nearly free electron model involves notation and terminology that can be confusing, especially for those unfamiliar with condensed matter physics. U_200 specifically refers to the potential at a specific point in the Brillouin zone, and it is not necessary to use degenerate perturbation theory in this case. It would depend on the specific problem and perturbation applied. It is important for scientists to support and help each other, so don't hesitate to reach out for clarification or assistance. Best of luck with your problem and class.
ianmgull
This is a multi-part problem. I'm having trouble getting started. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Prompt:

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.07.13 PM.png
To start off with, I think I'm finding the notation confusing. Specifically I'm not sure what U_200 refers to. Some thoughts:

I know that both the potential, and the periodic component of the bloch function can be expanded in a Fourier series in the nearly free electron model. I'm asumming that U_200 is the potential where k_x = 2 and k_y = k_z = 0, but the letter U is sometimes used for both potential and the periodic component of the block wavefunction so I'm a bit confused.

Secondly, since there are two waves with the same energy, does that imply that I'll need to use degenerate perturbation theory?

Thanks for the help. I'm not a condensed matter person and this class was supposed to be fun, but I'm struggling.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your multi-part problem. I can understand how the notation and terminology in the nearly free electron model can be confusing, especially if you are not familiar with condensed matter physics. Allow me to provide some insights and clarification to hopefully help you get started.

Firstly, U_200 refers to the potential at a specific point in the Brillouin zone, where k_x = 2 and k_y = k_z = 0. This notation is commonly used in the nearly free electron model to represent the potential at a specific point in the reciprocal lattice. I can see how the use of the letter U for both potential and periodic component of the block wavefunction can be confusing. However, in this case, U_200 specifically refers to the potential at that specific point in the Brillouin zone.

Secondly, regarding your question about using degenerate perturbation theory, it is not necessary to use it in this case. The fact that there are two waves with the same energy does not necessarily imply the need for degenerate perturbation theory. It would depend on the specific problem and the perturbation applied. If you provide more details about your problem, I can offer more specific insights.

I hope this helps clear up some of your confusion and gets you started on your problem. Don't hesitate to reach out for further clarification or assistance. As scientists, it is important to support each other and help each other grow.

Best of luck with your problem and your class. I hope you are able to find the fun in it soon.

1. What is "The Nearly Free Electron Model"?

The Nearly Free Electron Model is a theoretical model in solid state physics that describes the behavior of electrons in a crystalline lattice. It is based on the idea that electrons in a crystal lattice experience a periodic potential from the ions in the lattice, but also have some degree of freedom due to their own kinetic energy.

2. How does the Nearly Free Electron Model differ from the Free Electron Model?

The Free Electron Model assumes that electrons in a solid behave as if they are free particles, with no interactions with the lattice. However, the Nearly Free Electron Model takes into account the periodic potential of the lattice, which leads to the formation of energy bands and the concept of effective mass.

3. What are the advantages of using the Nearly Free Electron Model?

The Nearly Free Electron Model allows for a more accurate description of the electronic properties of a crystalline solid, such as the electronic band structure and the behavior of electrons in an applied electric field. It also provides insights into phenomena such as electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity.

4. What are the limitations of the Nearly Free Electron Model?

The Nearly Free Electron Model is limited in its ability to accurately describe the behavior of electrons in materials with strong electron-electron interactions, such as transition metals and semiconductors. It also does not take into account the effects of electron spin.

5. How is the Nearly Free Electron Model used in practical applications?

The Nearly Free Electron Model is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and development of electronic devices and materials. It is also used in research to understand the electronic properties of materials and to predict their behavior under different conditions.