The Nernst Equation- I apologize in advance for my ignorance

In summary, the Nernst Equation is used to calculate the cell potential of an electrochemical reaction. It takes into account factors such as the standard cell potential (E0), temperature (T), number of moles of electrons exchanged (n), and the reaction quotient (Q). The equation is Ecell = E0cell - (RT/nF)lnQ. The cell potential can be affected by the number of ions in the solution and the pH level. The gas constant (R) is used to convert between units and can be calculated using the voltage and coulomb units. The number of moles of electrons exchanged (n) is calculated by multiplying the moles per electron. To calculate the reaction quotient (Q),
Aisling25
Ecell = E0cell - (RT/nF)lnQ
So I understand the Nernst Equation, but I don't have some info. (Please bare with me, I'm in secondary)
I'm doing a Cu - Al cell. My E cell is negative (-1.33). Does this have an affect on the equation?
What exactly does E0 stand for?
I understand how to find E cell, but do I square it by something? I can't find online how many electrons are swapped. How many electrons are swapped?
How do you factor in the pH? I
've calculated the pH and the number of ions in it, but where do i add this in on the equation? Please lay it out how you would in the equation so I can see
I'm stuck on R (gas constant, which is 8.31 (volt-coulomb)/(mol-K)). I can't figure out the volt-coulomb as i don't know the voltage. How can I calculate the coulomb? Then the volt-coulomb? And is Mol-K (Mole)(Kelvin)? If so, do I factor in the temperature in Kelvins twice?
For N (n = number of moles of electrons exchanged in the electrochemical reaction) do i just multiply the moles per electron?
Finally - What exactly am I dividing to calculate Q? (How do I calculate Q?)

Please explain this all in basic jargon - or just normal English if you prefer. My vocabulary is limited. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is an equation that relates the equilibrium potential of a cell to the concentrations of ions inside and outside of the cell.

2. What is the significance of the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is important because it helps us understand how ions move across cell membranes and how cells maintain their internal environment.

3. How is the Nernst Equation used in research?

The Nernst Equation is commonly used in research to predict the equilibrium potential of a cell and to study the effects of different ion concentrations on cellular processes.

4. What factors affect the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is affected by temperature, the valence of the ion, and the ratio of the ion's concentrations inside and outside of the cell.

5. Can the Nernst Equation be applied to all cells?

No, the Nernst Equation can only be applied to cells with a membrane potential. It does not apply to cells without a membrane or to cells with a constant membrane potential.