Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The New Age of Who - Dr. Who

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The death song of the Ood has carried the old Doctor away, but the new Doctor arrives in America April 17th.
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-who/index.jsp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dr_who&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=doctor_who_premiere_2010 [Broken]

I do believe this is the youngest Doctor that we have ever seen. He appears to be but a lad. Is he relatively young, for a Doctor, or am I just getting old? :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh boy. Following David Tennant is going to be a tall order for anyone.

I recently watched some old, Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes from the early 80s. Wow. By today's standards, they are slow moving. I never saw any of the in-between doctors, but Tennant has to be up there with Baker for all time best Doctors ever.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I loved the old doctor. I guess the redhead girl is a bit of a bombshell!

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which "old" doctor? Peter Cummings? (Last seen as the commander of the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie).

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    I've honestly only barely heard about Dr.Who. I've never seen a single episode, and have no idea who he is, or what's it all about.

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6
    Ahh, should have been more specific. David Tennant. He was the doctor I grew up with, so it will be hard to see him go.

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well. Thanks for stopping by, then. Um...

yeah.

9. Apr 11, 2010 #8
    I watched pirated versions of the first two episodes of the new season, and WOW, the new kid does a great job. You guys won't be disappointed.

10. Apr 11, 2010 #9
    I agree. Tennant was one of my favorite Drs.

Anyone know where to watch these online?

11. Apr 11, 2010 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have Netflix, all the new Doctor Whos, and many of the old ones, are available in HD streaming.

It's almost worth the price of Netflix just for that.

12. Apr 11, 2010 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

We just finished the PBS special on Mark Twain and are looking for something new. I'll definitely add these to our instant queue.

13. Apr 11, 2010 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was excellent!

14. Apr 11, 2010 #13
    Oh yeah, I've been watching them all...for the second or third time around. :rofl:

I was meaning more for the brand new ones that are starting soon. Sorry, should have been more clear.

15. Apr 11, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took a computer class from a Dr. Hu.

16. Apr 11, 2010 #15
    That's a great idea! I watched a few episodes this week - in preparation for the new show (my kids are watching for the first time).

17. Apr 11, 2010 #16
    I worked at a veterinary hospital with a Dr. Lizardo.

and because I love this so much...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Apr 12, 2010 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's Peter Cushing - but he was only in the movie, so not quite a 'real' Dr Who.
    The best Dr Who of course depends on how old you are - which one was on TV when you were a kid (at least for those of us born before VCRs).

Although I did like Christopher Eccleston: "an alien - but he's from the North", "so - lots of planets have a north"

19. Apr 12, 2010 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, Cushing. Who the hell is Peter Cummings, anyway?

20. Apr 12, 2010 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have to say I didn't think that Matt Smith could fill David Tennant's shoes but his first two episodes are really good. He's obviously a different character, but has the same enthusiasm and energy along with a little quirkiness. His companion, Amy Pond, also helps ease one into the new doctor.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the first few episodes with the new doctor.

21. Apr 12, 2010 #20

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Yes, depends who you grew up with. Members of my family feel no one has replaced Troughton properly.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook