Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The New Biology

1. Jul 9, 2004 #1

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Couple weeks ago, I read an article by Carl R. Woese titled "A New Biology for a New Century" . Woese discuss the state of biology nowadays and the direction it should follows. We were discussing the article amongst some microbiologist the other at our conference and what came out was that he was rigth. I was wondering what you guys at to say. He is also convering some physics history, so physicists are more than welcome to comment on his view.

C.R. Woese is a microbiologist at the Univeristy of Illinois at Urban-champaign. He hold a B. Sc. in math and physics and a PhD in biophysics. http://www.life.uiuc.edu/micro/faculty/faculty_woese.htm
    He has also done major works on archeas and their classification.

So background reading
    On the evolution of the cells
    Impact of the natural universal phylogenetic classification on the evolution of cells theory

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The full article is behind a subscription wall. From the abstract I couldn't learn what he wants to put in place of molecular biology. What is the new discipline that will do the things molecular biology can't?

4. Jul 9, 2004 #3
    Carl Woese to be freed on June 1, 2005

...Until 2005.

• free for subscribers now; free for all users 12 months after publication, on June 1, 2005

5. Jul 10, 2004 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the article on my computer and I can make available do anyone who wants it. I can also try to make notes of the major points from the article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?