The 'New International Energy Order'

In summary, Michael Klare discusses the rise of the "new international energy order" in which oil-rich states are redrawing political and military alliances. China, Russia, and other states are forming alliances to compete for dominance in the energy market. America has been outmaneuvered by these countries, and Africom has been established to militarize Africa.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Oil [and Gas] and the 'New International Energy Order'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89565453
Fresh Air from WHYY, April 14, 2008 · With both the cost of and demand for oil rising, nations with large energy reserves are redrawing political and military alliances, and oil-rich countries like Russia and Venezuela are enjoying greater influence. Michael Klare, author of Rising Power, Shrinking Planet, calls it the "new international energy order."

Klare is the director of the Five College Program in Peace and World Security Studies based at Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass. He is the author of several books, including Blood and Oil, which examines the danger of American's dependence on foreign oil, and Rogue States and Nuclear Outlaws, a study of new American foreign policy.
The US has been outmaneuvered by Russia, China and other states with gas and oil. Putin has retaken control of oil and gas in Russia under Gazprom, and US has lost whatever they invested in the Russian market.

The US has established Africom (the US Africa Command) - and it appears that Africa will be militarized.

China is forming alliances with Iran and Venezula.

Russia, Iran and Qatar are considering forming a GPEC (OPEC for natural gas).

Russia and China formed the Shanghai Cooperation Organziation (SCO) in 1996 with other central asian states, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tadjikistan. There is a security dimension both in military cooperation and energy.

So perhaps we'll see the energy wars along the lines of the Cold War.

Physics news on Phys.org
seems like the common denominator is not-an-alliance-with-the-US-policy. I am afraid the US is going to have less allies in this 'cold war'.

But hope is on the way...Me myself for instance is investigating how to turn US' large coal depository into clean burning synthetic gas.

Nuclear power would be better. Also, if we could just tap all the oil we already have it would certainly help!

drankin said:
Nuclear power would be better. Also, if we could just tap all the oil we already have it would certainly help!

I don't know if I want my car to run on a nuclear reactor?:rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
Oil [and Gas] and the 'New International Energy Order'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89565453
The US has been outmaneuvered by Russia, China and other states with gas and oil. Putin has retaken control of oil and gas in Russia under Gazprom, and US has lost whatever they invested in the Russian market.

The US has established Africom (the US Africa Command) - and it appears that Africa will be militarized.

China is forming alliances with Iran and Venezula.

Russia, Iran and Qatar are considering forming a GPEC (OPEC for natural gas).

Russia and China formed the Shanghai Cooperation Organziation (SCO) in 1996 with other central asian states, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tadjikistan. There is a security dimension both in military cooperation and energy.

So perhaps we'll see the energy wars along the lines of the Cold War.

This may be even worse than the cold war because it is going to affect a lot more people in this country. Many Americans were barely aware that there was a cold war.

From what I have observed with China, they tend to go into a country and pay cash up front to develop an entire oil field. Then they pump the oil and pay a predetermined price for it. The oil entirely bypasses the speculative markets that drive up our prices.

jaap de vries said:
I don't know if I want my car to run on a nuclear reactor?:rolleyes:

Your car would run on electricity, jaap, electricty produced by nuclear power plants. I hope you weren't being serious.

1. What is the "New International Energy Order"?

The "New International Energy Order" refers to a proposed restructuring of the global energy system, with the goal of promoting sustainable and equitable development. It seeks to address issues such as energy security, climate change, and access to energy for all countries.

2. What are the main principles of the "New International Energy Order"?

The main principles of the "New International Energy Order" include promoting renewable energy sources, reducing dependence on fossil fuels, promoting energy efficiency, and ensuring fair and affordable access to energy for developing countries. It also emphasizes the need for international cooperation and collaboration to achieve these goals.

3. How does the "New International Energy Order" differ from the current global energy system?

The current global energy system is largely based on fossil fuels, with developed countries having a dominant role in energy production and consumption. The "New International Energy Order" aims to shift towards a more sustainable and equitable energy system, with a greater focus on renewable energy sources and an equal distribution of energy resources among countries.

4. What are the potential benefits of implementing the "New International Energy Order"?

Some potential benefits of implementing the "New International Energy Order" include reducing greenhouse gas emissions and mitigating the impacts of climate change, promoting energy security and independence, and improving access to energy for developing countries. It could also lead to economic benefits such as job creation and technological innovation in the renewable energy sector.

5. What are the challenges and obstacles to implementing the "New International Energy Order"?

The main challenges to implementing the "New International Energy Order" include resistance from countries heavily reliant on fossil fuels, the high cost of transitioning to renewable energy sources, and the need for significant international cooperation and coordination. Additionally, political and economic barriers may also hinder the adoption of the new energy order.