Exploring Quantum Mechanics: ER=EPR, Black Holes, Firewalls & More

In summary, there are many review papers available on topics such as ER=EPR, black hole complementary, firewalls, and vacuum entanglement. While there are no books specifically on these topics, some recommended review papers include those by F.S. D\"undar, D. Harlow, J. Polchinski, S. Chakraborty, K. Lochan, and D. Marolf.
Higgsono
ER=EPR, black hole complementary, firewalls, vacuum entanglement etc..

Where do I begin studying these new ideas? I have a solid understanding about Quantum Field Theory and the classical theory of gravity, but no knowledge of string theory. Are there some advice or book recommendations anyone can give?

Physics news on Phys.org
rootone said:
Brian Greene presents string theory 101 here.
https://www.ted.com/talks/brian_greene_on_string_theory#t-11554

This is a popular lecture, not what I'm looking for. Also it is not string-theory, per se, that I'm interested in, but the subjects mentioned.

Higgsono said:
ER=EPR, black hole complementary, firewalls, vacuum entanglement etc..

Where do I begin studying these new ideas? I have a solid understanding about Quantum Field Theory and the classical theory of gravity, but no knowledge of string theory. Are there some advice or book recommendations anyone can give?
There are no books on these topics, but there are many review papers such as
- F.S. D\"undar, arXiv:1409.0474.
- D. Harlow, Rev. Mod. Phys. {\bf 88}, 15002 (2016); arXiv:1409.1231.
- J. Polchinski, arXiv:1609.04036.
- S. Chakraborty, K. Lochan, Universe {\bf 3}, 55 (2017); arXiv:1702.07487.
- D. Marolf, Rept. Prog. Phys. {\bf 80}, 092001 (2017); arXiv:1703.02143.

Likes FourEyedRaven
Demystifier said:
There are no books on these topics, but there are many review papers such as
- F.S. D\"undar, arXiv:1409.0474.
- D. Harlow, Rev. Mod. Phys. {\bf 88}, 15002 (2016); arXiv:1409.1231.
- J. Polchinski, arXiv:1609.04036.
- S. Chakraborty, K. Lochan, Universe {\bf 3}, 55 (2017); arXiv:1702.07487.
- D. Marolf, Rept. Prog. Phys. {\bf 80}, 092001 (2017); arXiv:1703.02143.

Thanks!

1. What is ER=EPR and how does it relate to black holes?

ER=EPR is a theory proposed by physicists Leonard Susskind and Juan Maldacena, which suggests that entangled particles (EPR) are connected by wormholes (ER). This theory relates to black holes because it suggests that the event horizon of a black hole is connected to its singularity by a wormhole, creating a bridge between the two.

2. Can you explain the concept of a firewall in relation to black holes?

A firewall is a theoretical construct that suggests that at the event horizon of a black hole, there is a wall of high-energy particles that would incinerate anything that crosses it, including light. This concept challenges the current understanding of black holes and their event horizons, as it would violate the principles of general relativity.

3. How does quantum entanglement play a role in black holes?

Quantum entanglement is the phenomenon in which particles become connected and share a state, even when separated by large distances. In the context of black holes, this means that particles that fall into the black hole become entangled with particles outside of the black hole, creating a connection between the two through quantum entanglement.

4. What implications does ER=EPR have for our understanding of the universe?

If ER=EPR is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of spacetime. It could potentially lead to a resolution of the black hole information paradox and provide a deeper understanding of the connection between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. How does the concept of ER=EPR relate to the holographic principle?

The holographic principle suggests that the information of a three-dimensional space can be encoded on its two-dimensional boundary. ER=EPR is related to this principle because it suggests that the entanglement between particles can be seen as a holographic projection of the underlying spacetime. This connection could provide a new way of understanding the relationship between quantum mechanics and gravity.