The New World Library via Google

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Google may one day make it possible to flip through every page of the nearly 8 million volumes held by Stanford University's libraries without even a passing familiarity with the Dewey decimal system. And without leaving home.

Google (GOOG: news, chart, profile), the behemoth online depository of data and text, is living up to its mission -- to organize the world's information -- by undertaking a massive job that will put the holdings of some of the English-speaking world's biggest libraries on the Web. [continued]
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BE11C81BB-F00E-4433-AD09-0E5FD288B9C5%7D&siteid=google&dist=google&dist= [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Totally Awsome.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
LOL! Now you know the writer of that article has never spent much time in a university library! Dewey Decimal...LOL! :rofl: You'll find that in a high school library. University libraries use the Library of Congress System. I love it when reporters show off their lack of education.

Moonbear said:
LOL! Now you know the writer of that article has never spent much time in a university library! Dewey Decimal...LOL! :rofl: You'll find that in a high school library. University libraries use the Library of Congress System. I love it when reporters show off their lack of education.

Have you meet any journalism majors/graduates lately? Apparently doing keg stands and vomiting on paper can get you a degree! :surprised

Do you remember December 11, 2001 when all of the "news" networks were proclaiming the "3 month anniversary" of 9/11?:rofl: That's our fine overpaid "journalists" at work.

It's about damn time someone has finally decide to do this. Too bad it is going to be google with the intent of selling books. I thought this should have already been done years ago by universities and the Library of Congress. Unfortunately the money hounds couldn't figure out a way to do it without making a buck, not until those brilliant geniuses at google figured they could link a book sell through amazon to it. Only if I could be like those google guys! :uhh:

Moonbear said:

I do love the Library of Congress system instead of the Dewey Decimal system. They also use it in local libraries, too. I guess you have to since it's so small.

According to the Dewey Decimal system where would I find a book to cure Chrono's stutter? or is it an echo? or Tourette's?

tribdog said:
According to the Dewey Decimal system where would I find a book to cure Chrono's stutter? or is it an echo? or Tourette's?

Don't know. We should look it up.

tribdog said:
Don't know. We should look it up

wow, how irritating would it be if someone followed you around and played "echo" online.

tribdog said:
wow, how irritating would it be if someone followed you around and played "echo" online.

As annoying as it would be for me to hit them in the face so they'd stop?

Dewey Decimal for "Anger Management?" anyone? anyone?

oh, that's dirty pool. deleting a message someone has commented on. Foul, FOUL! I say.