New Capacitor: D Cell Form Factor & 6 Wh/kg Energy Density

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the newest capacitors are being sold in the form factor of a D cell battery for as little as $8 each and have impressive specifications. They have an energy density of 6 Wh/kg compared to 33-42 Wh/kg for lead-acid batteries, a power density of 4600 W/kg compared to 180 W/kg for lead-acid batteries, and a cycle life of 500000 compared to 500 for lead-acid batteries. They also have a leakage of only 0.3 mA compared to 3-20%/month self-discharge for lead-acid batteries. The specific brand MaxWell has a rated voltage of 2.7V, rated capacitance of 350F, ESR
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I'm impressed by the specifications of the newest capacitors. They are sold in the form factor of a D cell battery for at little as $8 each. I have no question. I'm just amazed at how fast that technology is improving. It may be time to consider applications for capacitors that we pooh-poohed before as unrealistic.

Capacitor versus lead-acid battery
Energy density 6 Wh/kg versus 33-42 Wh/kg.
Power density 4600 W/kg versus 180 W/kg.
Cycles 500000 versus 500.
Leakage 0.3 mA versus 3-20%/month self-dischargea

Here are some specs quoted for the capacitors.
  • Brand:MaxWell33-42
  • Rated Voltage:2.7V
  • Rated Capacitance:350F
  • Capacitance Tolerance:0%~10%
  • ESR(DC):3.2mΩ
  • Maximum Continuous Current (at 15℃):35A
  • Maximum Peak Current:220A
  • Maximum Leakage Current (72hrs/mA):0.3mA
  • Power Density (W/kg):4600
  • Maximum Energy (Wh):0.35
  • Energy Density (Wh/kg):5.9
  • Operating Temperature range:-40℃~65℃
  • Storage Temperature range:-40℃~65℃
  • Weight (g):63.3
  • Size (ΦD×L/mm):33.3×61.5
  • Cycle Life:≥500000

Likes NascentOxygen, jim hardy and Thewindyfan
Engineering news on Phys.org
I too am amazed by the energy that can be packed into such a small package as compared to say 20 years ago. Often times these super capacitors are not suitable for anything except memory backup or something similar due to a high ESR but even that is shrinking down.

Likes Thewindyfan
I'm impressed.
The .0035 ohm esr is calculated after 15 seconds at a 35 amp load. In the "olden days" you couldn't get all the charge at a high current.
Just for perspective, 350F means 1 amp for 35 seconds drops 0.1v. That's wild!

1. What is the energy density of the new D cell form factor capacitor?

The energy density of the new D cell form factor capacitor is 6 Wh/kg. This means that for every kilogram of the capacitor, it can store 6 watt-hours of energy.

2. How does the energy density of the new capacitor compare to other capacitors?

The energy density of the new D cell form factor capacitor is higher than most other capacitors currently on the market. This makes it a more efficient and powerful option for energy storage.

3. What are the dimensions of the new D cell form factor capacitor?

The dimensions of the new D cell form factor capacitor are based on the standard D cell battery size, which is approximately 34.2mm x 61.5mm.

4. How does the new capacitor achieve its high energy density?

The new D cell form factor capacitor utilizes advanced materials and design techniques to increase its energy storage capacity. This includes using high-performance electrodes and optimizing the internal structure of the capacitor.

5. What potential applications could benefit from the use of this new capacitor?

The high energy density and compact size of the new D cell form factor capacitor make it suitable for a wide range of applications, such as portable electronics, electric vehicles, and renewable energy storage systems. It could also be used in medical devices, aerospace technology, and military equipment.

Back