Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Next 100 Billion Years

1. Mar 27, 2004 #1
    I would like to start this forum and encourage people to add to the dates below regarding how they think dicoveries and 'firsts' will unfold in the future. The timeline below is nothing more than a vague idea at how I think things might occur... :) also...I've puposely not included things like world-war 3 or 'robot-wars' for obvious reasons so keep it to technology... ;)

(please add between or after any dates)

2007 -- Discovery of Higgs Boson
    2008 -- First Confirmed Human Clone
    2015 -- Permanent Moon Base
    2016 -- China recognized as Global Superpower
    2018 -- Ektoskelton Enhaced soldiers
    2020 -- Designer Babies
    2022 -- Europe recognized as Global Superpower
    2025 -- First Government Quantum Computer
    2027 -- First Nuclear Fusion Power Plant Operational
    2029 -- Earth Population 10 Billion
    2030 -- First Manned Mars Mission
    2031 -- Human Longevity Treatment
    2032 -- Commercially Available Quantum Computers
    2035 -- Construction of Martian Colony
    2040 -- First Artificially Intelligent Entity Created
    2050 -- Superstring theory experimentally validated
    2051 -- Verification of Compact Higher-Dimensions
    2055 -- Shortlived Microscopic Blackholes created in particle accelerators
    2060 -- Fusion Powered Spacecraft
    2062 -- First Manned Mission to Jupiter
    2065 -- First Manned Mission to Saturn
    2070 -- Scientific Resarch Outpost on Europa (Jovian Moon)
    2080 -- Casimir Energy Utilized as Energy Source on Small Scale
    2085 -- Experiments with Microscopic Singularities as Power Sources
    2090 -- Experiments with Microscopic Singularities as Propulsion Mechanism
    2100 -- Singularity Used to Curve Space as Propulsion Source (Alcubierre Style)
    2105 -- FTL Research Program
    2120 -- First FTL Drive
    2124 -- First Unammed Mission to Proxima Centauri
    2130 -- Unmanned Exploration of Local Group of Stars
    2150 -- Casimir Energy Used To Maintain Stable Wormhole Mouth
    2180 -- Experiments into Stability of Compact Dimensions
    2190 -- Experiments into Superstring Annihilation
    2200 -- Short-lived Wormhole Created
    2215 -- Experiments into Direct Manipulation of Size of Compact Dimensions
    2250 -- Zero-Point Energy Utilized as Energy Source
    2260 -- Compactification of Localized Region of Large Dimension
    2270 -- Dimensional Contraction Drive For Spacecraft Propulsion
    2285 -- Stable Wormholes
    2300 -- Creation of Baby Universe In Lab
    2340 -- Direct Manipulation of Physical Constants of Baby Universe
    2340 -- Inflaton Field Used to Inflate Designer Baby Universe
    2345 -- Einstein Rosen Bridge Used to Link Our Universe to Baby Unverse

...looking forward to seeing your revised versions...
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2
    2008 - Discovery of graviton before it escapes into a different dimension, solidfies the superstring conecept with the brane. :smile:
  4. Mar 28, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2007 - First artificial bacterium created. Crisis of vitalism.
    2010 - Positornium "atom" quantum teleported
    2020 - Rigor of proteomics reached, rational cures for all bacterial and virus diseases.
    2030 - Small-cap cell modification - collapse of drug companies
    2040 - First AI that can experience qualia developed.
    2045 - Great increase in human life span, genetic engineering increases human capabilities.
    2050 - Hydrogen atom quantum teleported
    2055 - The singularity - human and AI life interacts in unforseeable ways.
    2060 - Great loss of human life in AI/human conflict
    2070 - Biological molecule quantum teleported
    2075 - Bacterium quantum teleported and remains alive.
    2080 - Insects teleported alive
    2090 - Mammals teleported alive
    2100 - Humans teleported alive and without loss of consciousness/memories.
    2130 - AI's teleport to Mars, moons of Jupiter and Saturn. Leave earth to humans.
    2150 - Humans experiment with speciation.
  5. Mar 30, 2004 #4
    2080-equality in all aspects.god is everywhere,god is nowhere.god is the weight of mind.forced equality will go on till this time by lowering the top,and intelligent beings will have to put devices on their heads to prevent them from taking advantage of others.--steven pinker's blank slate.
  6. Apr 24, 2004 #5

By teleporting humans without loss of consciousness or memories, I imagine that you are referring to a type of teleportation technology that operates far differently than using quantum teleportation. The reason for this is because quantum teleportation involves the destruction of the original person and being replaced with a replica. Therefore, the way to teleport actual people without destroying them would have to involve a technology that works in a method that does not involve quantum teleportation.

With that in mind, how do you think it would work?

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If the person could be replicated down to the molecule and elementary particle level, wouldn't the memories, encoded in such things in the brain, be transferred too?
  8. Apr 26, 2004 #7

I have a theory that the data that we store in our brain is moving its not stagnant like a hard drive on a computer.

Your first memory may have been in the past but its not stored in the same place it was when it happened to you.

The last thing you ever do is stored were? and can it be accessed?

The mined is a moving chemical reaction like the sun.
    Is the membrane of the brain the hard drive?
    Stored in a spiral like a d.n.a strand?

Many Thanks
    Blair James Angel.
  9. May 2, 2004 #8
    If one speaks of creating a human being from raw materials at a "receiver teleporter," that would require astronomical amounts of energy, as pointed out in The Physics of Star Trek.

I think the first post in this thread was accurate in terms of one event preceding another, but the years might be a little optimistic.

Instead of focusing on the year a thing will happen, we should concentrate on the direction the future shall take. When we try to predict years, we get less and less accurate the further out we go. But with direction, we don't lose much accuracy as we project further and further.
  10. May 10, 2004 #9
    If prediction is based on scientific laws that we are not currently aware of, would this satisfy the probability of events as beening a result of, then might we say there is a consequence for every actionand uncertainty has been removed?

So we introduce new paradigmal models for consideration. Like Ramanujan and his moduli forms. Then we find, that if we change the basis of our thinking, by the introduction of superstringtheory/M Theory, and now find the structure of the world follows the formulation of real elements, maybe, this thinking is the basis of a crackpot? :smile:

What lies beneath?
  11. Aug 13, 2004 #10
    2025 -- Humans achieve workable intelligence enhancement and exponentially increase their intelligence, ending any comprehensible history.
  12. Aug 13, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2005 - all posters of timelines (to this thread) radically revise their posts; in 90% of cases the revisions are upward (i.e. later for the event to happen). :eek: :tongue2:
  13. Aug 13, 2004 #12
    2009 - I get my Masters in Mechanical Engineering
    2015 - I become rich
    never - a theory that unifies general relativity and quantum theory.
  14. Aug 14, 2004 #13
    "2015 - I become rich"

2016- I become a thief
  15. Aug 16, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

6097- Man recreates fire and the wheel, everything else has been done!
  16. Aug 16, 2004 #15
    2013- I graduate with my Phd in Physics
    2015- I'm labeled a madman for proposing the development of a race of atomic supermen
    2020- All nations of the world gather to bring peace to the world at last
    2021- My experiment go awry and releases a virus that turns half the world into robot zombie hybrids destroying civilization as we know it
    2030- Battle between man, machine, and mutants that are half-man half-machine rages on, 80% of all humans die
    2035- I single handedly save the human race from the zombie robots with my badass battle tank, musclar physique and rugged good looks
    2036- Being the last fertile male on Earth I'm left with the arduous task of impregnating 1000 of the world's hottiest women
    2040- I become King of the wastlelands of the future with 1000 bootilious wives
    2060- My sons and daughters start to rebuild society under my great leadership
    2061- My sons and daughters revolt, calling my rulership "tyranty" and send me into exile
    2080- At the ripe age of 104 I battle my way throught the wastelands fighting giant space beatles, robot dinosaurs and the evil reincanation of Walt Disney
    2107- I get trapped in ice while wandering acrossing the South Pole
    2321- Civilization finally returns and people build a the first Utopia
    2856- Scientists find my froze body, I thaw and seek revenge on my grandchildren
    2860- I find my old secret base of doom and continue my evil experiments
    2865- I finish my death ray and destroy Earth in a catatlysmic fireball, everyone dies except me because I'm the only one tough enough to survive in space with a suit
    3000- after years of drifting in space and holding my breath I come into Mars's orbit and fall to the surface and come to find that it's atmosphere is breathable and its inhabited by friendly green men who take me in and feed me
    3001- I start to plot my take over of the peaceful martians
  17. Oct 23, 2007 #16
    Entropy, that was a damn funny post!
  18. Oct 23, 2007 #17
    2008: Cure found for Cancer... I hope!
  19. Oct 23, 2007 #18
  20. Oct 23, 2007 #19
    2525: Humanity is attacked by the covenant and the Halo trilogy begins :rofl:
  21. Oct 23, 2007 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1,000,000,000 AD - latest pet fad among upper-class giant arachnoid families: a small blind vole-like creature (the last mammal species on earth).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?