The nicest part of your commute

• Thread starter oedipa maas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commute
In summary, the photo shows a bike rider going over a pointy part of the drawbridge. There is a nice view from the boat on the left side of the photo. The best part of the commute is the bump wheelie on the up-ramp of the parking structure. The commute is mostly bumper-to-bumper at breakneck speeds.
oedipa maas
http://photos-853.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v236/27/91/575983853/n575983853_940536_3472.jpg

The middle of the drawbridge - where the two platforms meet - is pointy (like f(x)=-|x|). So you get up a bit of speed on your bike as you approach the centre and then enjoy the weird acceleration as you go over the non-differentiable part.

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v236/27/91/575983853/n575983853_924829_3994.jpg
What you see when you're in a boat on the left hand side of the first photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have a beautiful commute! Lucky!

My view is usually the back of a large, dirty truck.

That looks nice. My nicest part is walking from my car to my door when I get home, the rest of my drive is bumper to bumper at break neck speeds.

I'm getting a new bike this weekend, after that most of my commute will be through the Edmonton River Valley, which is pretty nice.

Lucky you neodevin! I love biking in the river valley, it is so nice and the trails are awesome. my commute for this summer is on the henday, not terribly scenic unfortunately :(

It must be refreshing to live in a small town for a while.

scorpa said:
Lucky you neodevin! I love biking in the river valley, it is so nice and the trails are awesome. my commute for this summer is on the henday, not terribly scenic unfortunately :(

Better than the whitemud, which is my commute right now. With the construction it's more of a parking lot than a freeway...

My commute is a 3 minute walk, so the scenery consists of neighbourhood condos/apartments and a school yard.

Best part of my commute is the bump wheelie on the up-ramp of our parking structure. Or maybe the practice stoppie in the parking lot before going into the parking garage :biggrin:

I hardly ever go anywhere and most of my work (at least in the summer) consists of gardening. This is the nicest part of my commute, when the garden is all weeded and I'm headed up to sit on the back deck with a cold beer.

greenacres.jpg

Not having one, unless you count the walk down the hall.
Sending some recycled electrons to commute for me.

turbo-1 said:
greenacres.jpg

What's at the top of the tall tower, turbo?

berkeman said:
What's at the top of the tall tower, turbo?

A garden gnome, maybe...?

lisab said:

No, no, silly. It's got to be an antenna of some kind(s)... I'm too much of a geek not to ask. It could be a TV antenna if turbo is way out in the boonies, but more likely a HAM antenna? You a HAM, turbo?

Going home at six o/clock in the morning, i see the wild life, foxes, rabbits, munt jacks, the pigeons are a pain in the ass as they fly or waddle off at the last second, so all of my five mile commute is the best.

berkeman said:
No, no, silly. It's got to be an antenna of some kind(s)... I'm too much of a geek not to ask. It could be a TV antenna if turbo is way out in the boonies, but more likely a HAM antenna? You a HAM, turbo?
It's a TV antenna. There is no cable out here in the boonies. I've met quite a few crusty old HAMs over the years, in my never-ending quest for high-end vacuum tubes. I built/repaired/restored tube-drive guitar amps for a lot of years and sometimes the right tube in the right socket can turn an OK guitar tone into heaven. I've never gotten into the HAM radio thing, but their swap meets are great places to meet skin-flint hoarders. One guy that I bought a bunch of tubes and a nice mil-spec tube tester from has a workshop full of old radios and TVs. Some of the console TVs had round screens just a couple of inches across.

lisab said:
Yes a garden gnome with IR detectors and high-powered laser to cook any deer that decides to feast on my vegetables!

NeoDevin said:
I'm getting a new bike this weekend, after that most of my commute will be through the Edmonton River Valley, which is pretty nice.

Yes, it's pretty nice.

david_h_pic.jpg

How late in the year do you plan to ride? -15 C is about all I can tolerate. After that I have to take my polar bear - and then the neighours complain because it eats dogs and small children.

Last edited:
I'll ride all summer for sure, probably until about -15 or -20

That's a beautiful old bridge Oedipa. I'd love to have something like that near me.

I either cycle or walk, so I get to take the quiet back-streets and head through the park, which is always nice:smile:

2373965274_25bde6e84c_m.jpg
2218554949_f2ec862c7a_m.jpg

It's a Victorian park and has lots of old and interesting things in it. Nice at any time of year- even has a greenhouse with reptiles, birds and things for when it's cold & miserable.

Last edited:
oedipa maas said:
it eats dogs and small children.

Please, may I borrow it? :shy:

The best part of my commute is that it's only 5-15 minutes long, depending on whether I'm heading to the farm or office and how many of the lights I catch along the way (it used to never be more than 10 min, but they've added traffic lights since I moved here, and there seem to be an awful lot of people who can't find their accelerator pedal who slow me down).

The best part of my commute is when I drive by this one house. There is a black guy there who doesn't exactly have all his marbles. He stands on the driveway and waves to cars as they drive by. Everytime I see him I beep and wave and smile. He waves back and blows you a kiss. Hes been doing this for years. I think he has downs syndrome and he's probably in his early 40s by now. But every day, day after day, he'll be there to wave at you. I get sad when he's not there to wave at.

Moonbear said:
people who can't find their accelerator pedal who slow me down).

That sort of reminds me of one of my best friends, who I used to drive around before he got his license. While being totally brilliant (he's an administrator at Cisco), he's a wee bit dislexic with directions. We'd be driving around, and he'd keep saying 'gas' or 'clutch' to indicate upcoming turns, because he couldn't remember the names for 'right' or 'left'. No problem to me, but it weirded out a couple of secondary passengers. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
The best part of my commute is when I drive by this one house. There is a black guy there who doesn't exactly have all his marbles.

Believe me, Cyrus, when I say that I mean no offense by this. It's just a matter of trying to understand cultural differences. Why would you specify that he was black? That seems to be something that happens in the US as a matter of course, but I thought that you were in the UK. In Canada, people are just people. :confused:

Cyrus said:
The best part of my commute is when I drive by this one house. There is a black guy there who doesn't exactly have all his marbles. He stands on the driveway and waves to cars as they drive by. Everytime I see him I beep and wave and smile. He waves back and blows you a kiss. Hes been doing this for years. I think he has downs syndrome and he's probably in his early 40s by now. But every day, day after day, he'll be there to wave at you. I get sad when he's not there to wave at.
Aww...that's cool. Really nice that a wave can make a complete stranger happy every day.

Danger said:
That sort of reminds me of one of my best friends, who I used to drive around before he got his license. While being totally brilliant (he's an administrator at Cisco), he's a wee bit dislexic with directions. We'd be driving around, and he'd keep saying 'gas' or 'clutch' to indicate upcoming turns, because he couldn't remember the names for 'right' or 'left'. No problem to me, but it weirded out a couple of secondary passengers. :biggrin:

:rofl: Yeah, that would freak me out a bit too if I didn't know what he meant.

Moonbear said:
that would freak me out a bit too if I didn't know what he meant.

I think that I also caused a few stained shorts doing 160 mph in a 50 zone... :uhh:

edit: In case that sounds as if I'm reckless, keep in mind that I was in that 50 zone for only 3 1/2 seconds...

Last edited:
What were you driving going 160 mph?

My commute between little town and working station let me pass this scenery:

enroute1.JPG

So today I took my camera.

enroute2.JPG

Why am I thinking of buying an expensive SLR when I can make these pics with my budget bridge camera?

Direct linking may not work. But the pictures are here behind the thumbnails:

366139_enroute1.JPG

and

366140_enroute2.JPG

Last edited:
Danger said:
Believe me, Cyrus, when I say that I mean no offense by this. It's just a matter of trying to understand cultural differences. Why would you specify that he was black? That seems to be something that happens in the US as a matter of course, but I thought that you were in the UK. In Canada, people are just people. :confused:

No, I am in the USA. He kinda looks like an old gary coleman but life size. I think they told him not to stand so close to the road, because every time I see him his got a broom and he's sweeping deep in the drive way. I have to put my window down and beep when I drive by an wave at him. He gets all happy and waves back!

1. What is considered the nicest part of a commute?

The nicest part of a commute is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may enjoy the peacefulness of a morning drive, while others may prefer the convenience of public transportation. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the individual's commute experience.

2. How does the nicest part of a commute affect overall satisfaction with commuting?

The nicest part of a commute can greatly impact an individual's overall satisfaction with their commute. If they enjoy the nicest part, it can make the entire commute experience more enjoyable and less stressful. On the other hand, if the nicest part is unpleasant or non-existent, it can decrease overall satisfaction with commuting.

3. Can the nicest part of a commute change over time?

Yes, the nicest part of a commute can change over time. Factors such as changes in transportation methods, work location, or personal circumstances can all affect what an individual considers to be the nicest part of their commute.

4. Is the nicest part of a commute the same for everyone?

No, the nicest part of a commute can vary greatly from person to person. It can depend on individual preferences, commute distance and time, and the mode of transportation used. What one person considers to be the nicest part of their commute may not be the same for someone else.

5. How can someone make the nicest part of their commute even better?

There are several ways to make the nicest part of a commute even better. This can include listening to music or podcasts, reading a book, or simply taking in the scenery. Additionally, choosing a more scenic or peaceful route, or finding a new way to commute can also enhance the nicest part of a commute.