Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The nicest part of your commute

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

The middle of the drawbridge - where the two platforms meet - is pointy (like f(x)=-|x|). So you get up a bit of speed on your bike as you approach the centre and then enjoy the weird acceleration as you go over the non-differentiable part.

[​IMG]
    What you see when you're in a boat on the left hand side of the first photo.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like you have a beautiful commute! Lucky!

My view is usually the back of a large, dirty truck.

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    That looks nice. My nicest part is walking from my car to my door when I get home, the rest of my drive is bumper to bumper at break neck speeds.

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    I'm getting a new bike this weekend, after that most of my commute will be through the Edmonton River Valley, which is pretty nice.

6. May 16, 2008 #5
    Lucky you neodevin! I love biking in the river valley, it is so nice and the trails are awesome. my commute for this summer is on the henday, not terribly scenic unfortunately :(

7. May 16, 2008 #6
    It must be refreshing to live in a small town for a while.

8. May 16, 2008 #7
    Better than the whitemud, which is my commute right now. With the construction it's more of a parking lot than a freeway...

9. May 16, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

My commute is a 3 minute walk, so the scenery consists of neighbourhood condos/apartments and a school yard.

10. May 16, 2008 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Best part of my commute is the bump wheelie on the up-ramp of our parking structure. Or maybe the practice stoppie in the parking lot before going into the parking garage :biggrin:

11. May 16, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I hardly ever go anywhere and most of my work (at least in the summer) consists of gardening. This is the nicest part of my commute, when the garden is all weeded and I'm headed up to sit on the back deck with a cold beer.

[​IMG]

12. May 16, 2008 #11

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not having one, unless you count the walk down the hall.
    Sending some recycled electrons to commute for me.

13. May 16, 2008 #12

berkeman

What's at the top of the tall tower, turbo?

14. May 16, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A garden gnome, maybe...?

15. May 16, 2008 #14

berkeman

No, no, silly. It's gotta be an antenna of some kind(s).... I'm too much of a geek not to ask. It could be a TV antenna if turbo is way out in the boonies, but more likely a HAM antenna? You a HAM, turbo?

16. May 16, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Going home at six o/clock in the morning, i see the wild life, foxes, rabbits, munt jacks, the pigeons are a pain in the ass as they fly or waddle off at the last second, so all of my five mile commute is the best.

17. May 16, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

It's a TV antenna. There is no cable out here in the boonies. I've met quite a few crusty old HAMs over the years, in my never-ending quest for high-end vacuum tubes. I built/repaired/restored tube-drive guitar amps for a lot of years and sometimes the right tube in the right socket can turn an OK guitar tone into heaven. I've never gotten into the HAM radio thing, but their swap meets are great places to meet skin-flint hoarders. One guy that I bought a bunch of tubes and a nice mil-spec tube tester from has a workshop full of old radios and TVs. Some of the console TVs had round screens just a couple of inches across.

18. May 16, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Yes a garden gnome with IR detectors and high-powered laser to cook any deer that decides to feast on my vegetables!

19. May 16, 2008 #18
    Yes, it's pretty nice.

[​IMG]

How late in the year do you plan to ride? -15 C is about all I can tolerate. After that I have to take my polar bear - and then the neighours complain because it eats dogs and small children.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  20. May 16, 2008 #19
    I'll ride all summer for sure, probably until about -15 or -20

21. May 16, 2008 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That's a beautiful old bridge Oedipa. I'd love to have something like that near me.

I either cycle or walk, so I get to take the quiet back-streets and head through the park, which is always nice:smile:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's a Victorian park and has lots of old and interesting things in it. Nice at any time of year- even has a greenhouse with reptiles, birds and things for when it's cold & miserable.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?