The nicest part of your commute

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The best part of my commute is when I drive by this one house. There is a black guy there who doesnt exactly have all his marbles. He stands on the driveway and waves to cars as they drive by. Everytime I see him I beep and wave and smile. He waves back and blows you a kiss. Hes been doing this for years. I think he has downs syndrome and hes probably in his early 40s by now. But every day, day after day, he'll be there to wave at you. I get sad when hes not there to wave at.
Aww...that's cool. Really nice that a wave can make a complete stranger happy every day.

That sort of reminds me of one of my best friends, who I used to drive around before he got his license. While being totally brilliant (he's an administrator at Cisco), he's a wee bit dislexic with directions. We'd be driving around, and he'd keep saying 'gas' or 'clutch' to indicate upcoming turns, because he couldn't remember the names for 'right' or 'left'. No problem to me, but it weirded out a couple of secondary passengers. :biggrin:
:rofl: Yeah, that would freak me out a bit too if I didn't know what he meant.

Danger
Gold Member
that would freak me out a bit too if I didn't know what he meant.
I think that I also caused a few stained shorts doing 160 mph in a 50 zone... :uhh:

edit: In case that sounds as if I'm reckless, keep in mind that I was in that 50 zone for only 3 1/2 seconds...

Last edited:
What were you driving going 160 mph?

My commute between little town and working station let me pass this scenery:

enroute1.JPG

So today I took my camera.

enroute2.JPG

Why am I thinking of buying an expensive SLR when I can make these pics with my budget bridge camera?

Direct linking may not work. But the pictures are here behind the thumbnails:

366139_enroute1.JPG

and

366140_enroute2.JPG

Last edited:
Believe me, Cyrus, when I say that I mean no offense by this. It's just a matter of trying to understand cultural differences. Why would you specify that he was black? That seems to be something that happens in the US as a matter of course, but I thought that you were in the UK. In Canada, people are just people. :confused:
No, im in the USA. He kinda looks like an old gary coleman but life size. I think they told him not to stand so close to the road, because every time I see him his got a broom and hes sweeping deep in the drive way. I have to put my window down and beep when I drive by an wave at him. He gets all happy and waves back!