Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2011 goes to Saul Perlmutter Brian Schmidt and Adam Riess

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

"for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae"

Congratulations!

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2011/press.html" [Broken]

http://svtplay.se/v/2549924/nobel_2011/" [Broken]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Perlmutter" [Broken]

Saul_Perlmutter.jpg Brian_P_Schmidt.jpg Adam_Riess.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe" [Broken]

700px-CMB_Timeline300_no_WMAP.jpg

Cool! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
    Re: The Nobel Prize in Physics 2011 goes to Saul Perlmutter Brian Schmidt and Adam Ri

Thanks for adding in the three close up shots. I couldn't make our their faces in the panoramic view.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Re: The Nobel Prize in Physics 2011 goes to Saul Perlmutter Brian Schmidt and Adam Ri

You are welcome, please note that the video replay isn’t online yet, I will change the URL when it is...

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
  6. Oct 4, 2011 #5

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Congrats! :wink:

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

8. Oct 4, 2011 #7

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Thanks Astro

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

In the fall of 1997, Adam Riess http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/images/200711/article10_image01.jpg" [Broken] that the expansion of the Universe was accelerating.

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/cms/?pid=1000557"

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9

Congratulations! Are any of the winners here on PF. Like zapper z? Is he one of the winners?

11. Oct 4, 2011 #10

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Remedy for any 'nervous fatalist':

Brooklyn Is Not Expanding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1-OmAICpU

The proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLhl2MSQ1R0

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Oct 4, 2011 #11

congratulations! :)

13. Oct 4, 2011 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Love that notebook. Looks like the kind of chicken scratch I put in lab books :biggrin:.

14. Oct 4, 2011 #13

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

= it could be you next time!! :surprised

(:biggrin:)

[please excuse my 'distorted humor']

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  15. Oct 4, 2011 #14

Lisab would win for Peace that includes all of them.

16. Oct 4, 2011 #15

I remember watching one of the first documentaries (I believe it was on The Science Channel) on the accelerated expansion that featured Saul. The documentary mentioned that Saul wasn't from the observational astronomical community and his group wasn't taken too seriously, initially, for his research on the supernova surveying techniques he was employing. If anyone could verify that it would be greatly appreciated (Wiki doesn't really have an extensive biography on Mr. Perlmutter).

Either way, it’s deserving.

I still have a hard time accepting this revised view of an accelerating expansion. The notion that cosmic expansion should be slowing down has been difficult to overturn in my head. LOL.

17. Oct 4, 2011 #16

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

18. Oct 4, 2011 #17

Congrats to the winners!

Frankly, I think I should have won for figuring out how to light my steam engine fuel tablets! :rofl:

Does the accelerating expansion of the universe simply mean that space-time is expanding at an accelerated rate, without the speed of light necessarily increasing? (I've always had the idea that the speed of light has been decreasing since the Big Bang (via loss of motivating energy in obedience to the law of entropy), and will continue to do so, as the independence of C from space-time seems to allow this conclusion.)

Anyways, by observation, the distance from the Earth to the Moon IS increasing, not due to the expansion of the universe, but due to the outward component of the velocity of the Moon's orbit as compared with escape velocity:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/ast99/ast99639.htm

"Yes, the Earth-Moon distance is increasing. We know this because the Apollo Astronauts placed reflective mirrors on the moon from which we can bounce of lasers from the Earth and measure the time it takes for the light to travel back and forth between the Earth and the Moon. Successive measurements show that the Earth-Moon distance is indeed increasing.

This is counter to the idea that the gravitational forces between the Earth and the Moon should bring the two bodies together and is taken to mean that there are other forces at work here. One of the suggestions is that the Moon was a product of a collision between the proto-Earth and another celestial object which produced the current Earth and the Moon. This hypothesis then suggests that in the early history of the Earth and the Moon, the two bodies were very much closer to each other and the collision forces that created the two bodies is what is forcing them farther apart from each other. "

19. Oct 4, 2011 #18

cmb

If I understand the methodology used for this, am I right in saying it is based on an inference that the Universe between us and the observed objects is uniform and isotropic?

If we were to one day travel significant distances away from earth so as to look back from a distant perspective, and we suddenly find that we happen to have been in a 'local void', then that would distort the results and may mean this conclusion is not right.

I believe this was first postulated by Zehavi in the 90's and I expect that there have been investigations to try to decide this one way or the other since. Has this work therefore discounted this 'local void' issue, and if so, how?

20. Oct 4, 2011 #19

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Yup

That is correct, but I think the effect is due to tidal forces; the distance between the Earth and Moon is increasing, and the Earth's spin slowing down = the Earth's day lengthens by about 15 microseconds every year.

I welcome this fact. :smile:

21. Oct 4, 2011 #20

I would take your reply in two parts: Earth's rate of rotation about its axis is obviously decreasing due to lunar tidal forces (i.e., due to the Moon's gravitational force), but the increasing distance between Earth and the Moon cannot be explained by this attraction, as whatever is pulling the Moon away from the Earth must be OVERCOMING the mutual gravitational attraction between these spheres. If you're suggesting the gravitational slingshot effect, that effect is, so far as I know, dependent upon the velocity and trajectory of the object when it first enters the gravitational realm of the massive body giving this effect, and, since Earth's Moon was apparently formed as the result of a collision with another planet, the initial impulse governing the orbital velocity and trajectory of Earth's Moon must have been imparted by the impacting body in the manner of one of those "Newton's Cradle" things. See:

http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0geu8XTnotO9CQAfmjrFAx.?ei=UTF-8&p=newton's%20cradle&rd=r1&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-715 [Broken]

I'm not denying the possibility that this may be the slowest gravitational slingshot effect within human knowledge, but it seems that a better explanation is simply to be found in the idea that the initial energy impulse imparted to the collision ejecta that became the Moon imparted to the Moon an orbital velocity and trajectory sufficient to allow the component of the Moon's velocity directed 180 degrees AGAINST Earth's gravitational attraction upon the Moon magnitude slightly above escape velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook