What is the North Sea's Fossil Treasure Trove?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: The first specimen was described by Cuvier in 1828 and the last was described by van Gelder in 1965. I discuss the differences between these specimens, and present the new specimen.
Andre
Every now and then fishermen, trawling the floor of the North Sea for sole and plaice find things like this in their trawler nets:

http://i.pbase.com/g1/04/469504/2/97590821.Hj6ZrhEI.jpg

It's the skull and antlers of a giant deer or irish elk, which was originally thought to have died out at the end of the Pleistocene, together with the mammoths, mastodons, etc, some 11,000 years ago. However a http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1006_041006_giant_deer.html proofs this to be false.

The guy on the picture is Dick http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1006_041006_giant_deer.html Mol, who is currently packing his bags for a expedition to Siberia to investigate another stunning discovery that will likely hit the news later.

The likely age range of this fossil is 28-35,000 years, alternately it could be 6000-11,000 years, as not a single fossil is known here between those two periods. Older is unlikely or the specimen would have been (partly) mineralized. Of course carbon dating is in progress.

The house in the background is of one of those fishermen, also the owner of this fossil, in his rooms he has one of the finest private paleonthologic collections, only surpassed by that of Dick Mol, whose house is completely full whenever a visitor happens to pass by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /g1/04/469504/2/97590821.Hj6ZrhEI.jpg on this server.

Could be that's just me.

Perhaps. It's working fine for me. I uploaded a small version,

Attachments

• 97590821_Hj6ZrhEI.jpg
    97590821_Hj6ZrhEI.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 706
I could't access the link either.

Much better now :)

Okay,

A recent abstract for Dutch article by Dick Mol that I translated:

A new fossil of the Mastodon of Aubergine (Anancus arvernensis Croizet et Jobert, 1828) has recently been recovered from the North Sea floor by the crew of the trawler OD6. It was collected in January 2008. It is a lower jaw molar, a dp4, which is a last milk molar. It is presently in the collection of Kommer Tanis, Havenhoofd, Stellendam, The Netherlands, labeled as number 3152. This is the first time that this proboscidean has shown up in this section of the North Sea, known as the Southern Bight. Mastodon remains such as this, from the late Pliocene to early Pleistocene, are relatively rare in North West Europe. Some are known from the United Kingdom. In the Netherlands finding places are Tegelen, Mill, Liessel and the Oosterschelde. In this paper, I present an overview of the five specimens of Anancus arvernensis known from the North Sea.

1. What is "The North Sea treasure cove"?

The North Sea treasure cove is a specific area in the North Sea, located between the coasts of the United Kingdom, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands. It is known for its abundance of shipwrecks and sunken treasures from various time periods.

2. How did the treasures end up in the North Sea?

The North Sea has been a major shipping route for centuries, making it a prime location for shipwrecks. Many of the treasures found in the North Sea cove are believed to be from shipwrecks caused by storms, collisions, or other maritime disasters.

3. What types of treasures have been found in the North Sea cove?

The North Sea treasure cove has yielded a variety of treasures, including gold and silver coins, jewelry, pottery, and even well-preserved shipwrecks. Some of the most notable discoveries include the Cunard liner RMS Lusitania, which was sunk by a German submarine during World War I, and the HMS Victory, a British warship that sank in a storm in 1744.

4. How do scientists study and preserve the treasures found in the North Sea cove?

Scientists and archaeologists use various methods to study and preserve the treasures found in the North Sea cove. This includes careful excavation techniques, using specialized equipment such as remote-operated vehicles, and conserving the artifacts in controlled environments to prevent further deterioration.

5. Are there still treasures waiting to be discovered in the North Sea cove?

Yes, it is believed that there are still numerous treasures waiting to be discovered in the North Sea cove. With advances in technology and ongoing research, it is likely that more treasures will be uncovered in the future.