Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The not paradox twins

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    In this story we will have three inertia frames. Frame Fi where both twins start together and at rest with respect to each other. Frame FL moving at a speed v in the negative x direction and Frame FR moving at a speed v in the positive x direction.

Both twins zero their watches and start accelerating away from each other with acceleration -a and +a respectively. They do this until one year elapses on their local clock. They then coast for one year on their local clock. They then accelerate with rate +a and -a respectively for one year on their local clock. Then they accelerate with a rate of +a and -a respectively for one year local time. They then coast for one year local time. They then accelerate with a rate -a and +a respectively for one year local time. They are now at the same (almost the same, not exactly on top of each other) place. They both read six years on their own clock and they both read six years on the others clock.

Yes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi edpell! :wink:

(i don't see where the three frames come into it, but anyway …)
    Yes. :smile:

4. Jan 1, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but thats not really the point of the twins paradox

The paradox is that one twin comes back younger but the twin on Earth says, "I believe I was travelling and you were stationary = so I should be younger than you" The solution is that the one in the space ship accelerated an turned round, he could detect these events and so prove he had travelled.
    The cases aren't equivalent

5. Jan 1, 2010 #4
    This is the NOT paradox twins. I agree this has nothing but part of the name in common with the other.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #5
    You are right, it just clutters up the story.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook