Which math schools should I consider for my PhD? Comments appreciated!

• Thread starter Geomancer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List Short
In summary: AT:U(TX), Austin: 735U(MD), College Park: 740Twin Cities: 720U(WI), Madison: 720U(CA), San Diego: 740Purdue: 740Georgia Tech: 740U(GA): 770Group II:Arizona: 710Florida: 720Kentucky: 710TAMU: 735
Geomancer
Thanks again for the comments on my previous post. I've done some work narrowing the field of math schools. Note that since my previous post I've made a decision to weight schools in the south a bit more heavily than those in the north. Here is a list, along with my comments.

AMS Group I:
  • U(TX), Austin: Very large, well regarded. Generous stipends.
  • U(MD), College park: Seems to be stocked with various kinds of analysts. They do have a leading symbolic dynamics guy, though. High cost of living?
  • Twin Cities: Missed their deadline. They looked nice, though. Hard to get in?
  • U(WI), Madison: Strengths in algebra and combinatorics. Low Faculty/student.
  • U(CA), San Diego: Looks nice.
  • Purdue: An engineering school, I'm not sure I'd fit the culture.
  • Georgia Tech: Has one of the only combinatorics programs in the US, but with a very applied bent. See Purdue. Good stipends, but I'm not sure what the cost of living is.
  • U(GA): Strong in representation theory, nice to students.
Group II:
  • Arizona: Friendly appearance, didn't tweak my academic curiousity.
  • Florida: I don't have a note written for this one. IIRC, has an unusual strength in discrete geometry.
  • TAMU: Very large. My notes claim a strength in algebra, but the largest group of degrees was in applied math.
  • Kentucky: Friendly web site, nice location. PhDs.org gave it a decent ranking (for my weighting), for some reason. Don't know much else.

Any comments are appreciated. I hope that some version of this list may be a help to others in a similar situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this list for?

It's a list of places I'm considering for graduate school (math PhD). I've previously discussed my situation http://https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=271391" .

On consideration, I probably should have posted in that thread. Mods, please feel free to move this there.

Thanks,
GM

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "The (not very) Short List"?

"The (not very) Short List" is a list of items or ideas that are related to each other in some way. It is called "not very" short because it may contain more than just a few items, but it is not an exhaustive list either.

How is "The (not very) Short List" different from a regular list?

"The (not very) Short List" is different from a regular list because it is not meant to be comprehensive or complete. It is more of a curated collection of items that are related in some way, rather than a complete inventory of all possible items.

Who creates "The (not very) Short List"?

"The (not very) Short List" can be created by anyone, but it is most commonly created by experts or individuals who have a deep understanding of the topic or items included in the list. It may also be created collaboratively by a group of people with different perspectives and knowledge.

What is the purpose of "The (not very) Short List"?

The purpose of "The (not very) Short List" can vary depending on the creator and the topic. It may be used to highlight important or interesting items, provide a starting point for further research, or spark discussion and debate.

Can "The (not very) Short List" be updated or changed?

Yes, "The (not very) Short List" can be updated or changed as new information becomes available or as the creator's perspective changes. It is not meant to be a static document and may evolve over time.