Ill you help me?"Unraveling the Mystery of 'e': Solving an Integral

In summary: I can not understand it..In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral involving the number e in quantum physics. The initial question is unclear and the person asking it struggles to explain it. Other members try to provide helpful explanations and suggestions. Eventually, it is determined that the integral cannot be solved using elementary methods and requires the use of polar coordinates.
opeth_35
actually, there ıs a something I don't understand about the e value

I could not figure it out this integral while solving for quantum physics, you will see the equation in figure. The problem is how We can make a solution about the e number while solving in integral.. Such as e power any number.. you wıll see in figure as well. I just wonder only how to solve problem which contain e number. I knew before about that, W

Attachments

• kvant.png
    kvant.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me, but I don't understand your question.
Please rephrase it, or write it mathematically and mark what you need to solve.

good luck.

Last edited:
hi opeth_35! :smile:

i too don't understand what you're asking :confused:

if you're asking how to solve ∫-∞ ue-λu2 du and ∫-∞ e-λu2 du, the first one is by substitution and the second one is a well-known definite integral which you have to learn :wink:

I could not complete my question sorry about that I think there is a problem about web. anyway.

If I tell my questıon to you again.. I don't understand how to calculate contain e number ( 2.7 )

this kind of integral questions. You wıll see in mpeg the sample of any question relevant that.

Is there anyone know about how i m going to solve this ?

opeth_35 said:
I could not complete my question sorry about that I think there is a problem about web. anyway.

If I tell my questıon to you again.. I don't understand how to calculate contain e number ( 2.7 )

this kind of integral questions. You wıll see in mpeg the sample of any question relevant that.

Is there anyone know about how i m going to solve this ?

i'm sorry, i still don't understand what you're asking :confused:

e is just like any other constant, the only difference is that d/dx (ef(x)) = f'(x)ef(x), while if we use a different number, A, instead of e, then d/dx (Af(x)) = (ln(A))f'(x)Af(x), which is more messy :smile:

( and ∫ f'(x)ef(x) dx = ef(x), while ∫ f'(x)Af(x) dx = Af(x)/ln(A) )

@opeth_35 I advise you to write your question in the language of mathematics.

:) :) I thınk I could not explain problem clearly.. I understand that added solve of questıon in mpeg but

when we take integral, then We need to put boundaries from minus infinite to plus infinite. Am I right? Actually, This point confused me.. I am putting minus infinite and plus infinite to solve but The answer is not like I found. I think I forgot something relevant e number how to solve this kind of boundries. Am I clear? :)

the important values are e0 = 1, and e-∞ = 0

in this case you have both ∞ and -∞, but it doesn't matter because they're both squared, so at both boundaries it's e-(∞)2, or e-(-∞)2, which are both e-∞ = 0 :wink:

like tiny-tim said :

e-(-∞)2 = e-(∞)2= e-∞ = 1/e = 1/∞ = 0

:)

yes all of you are right that you showed me, the best way, I think It is going to be show you my solution..:)

Could you check a photo I added here?

I hope This will be clear. Please help

Attachments

• DSC04437.jpg
    DSC04437.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 409
i'm sorry, opeth_35, this is completely wrong :redface:

∫ e-2ax2 dx is not e-2ax2/(-4ax) …

(differentiate the RHS, and you'll se you can't possibly get the LHS)

there is no elementary integral of e-2ax2 (though of course there is the "non-elementary" error function, erf(x), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function" :wink:)

to integrate ∫0 e-2ax2 dx, you need to learn a standard trick:

multiply it by ∫0 e-2ay2 dy to get an ∫∫ dxdy, then convert to polar coordinates …

what do you get? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your propose :) I did not know before this kind of questions that was solved like that..

I will try to solve like you said :)

I multiplied dy function as you said but I can not move in progress. I see again similar wrong in process.. I am confused:(

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong! :smile:

(btw, I'm afraid I'm going out in a few minutes, and i'll be out for the rest of the evening)

Your 1st image shows:

[tex]\left\langle x\right\rangle=A\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}\,dx=\dots=A\left(0+a\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\lambda}}\right)=a[/tex]

It's hard to figure what your question is even after reading all the posts in this thread.

I take it that A is a normalization constant.

Indeed, [tex]A\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}\,dx=A\,\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\lambda}}\quad\to\quad A=\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{\pi}}\,,[/tex] which explains: [tex]A\left(0+a\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\lambda}}\right)=a\ .[/tex]

If on the other hand you wonder how [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}\, dx=\sqrt{\pi}\,,[/tex] that's more involved.

SammyS, whatever are you doing?

You've just given him the complete answer. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
SammyS, whatever are you doing?

You've just given him the complete answer. :redface:
Sorry Tim.

I was just trying to figure out the question. Let's see if it's not too late to edit.

FIXED it !

Tim, Thanks!

No harm done! :biggrin:

okey, I understand to solve but I have forgotten something in math.. I need to make a reputation about coordinate system..

thank you all:)

opeth_35 said:
hey

I think My problem is about coordinate systems, I still don't understand to turn -infinite to the number of pi..

Do u have any suggestıon about that:(

once again I'm not understanding you :redface:

show us the particular equation you're having difficulty with :smile:

You ll see in mpeg..

Attachments

• DSC04439.jpg
    DSC04439.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 452
(jpeg, actually! :wink:)

ok, now put e-2ax2e-2ay2

= e-2a(x2+y2)

= e-2ar2

finally convert "dxdy" to polar coordinates :smile:

here we go, My problem is this.. polar koordinates.. I can not turn to each other. I have looked to book but, It ıs not clear.. It explains roughly..:(

you have to replace dxdy by rdrdθ …

see for example http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/202/multipleIntegration/doublePolarIntegration.htm" :wink:

tiny-tim said:
you have to replace dxdy by rdrdθ …

see for example http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/202/multipleIntegration/doublePolarIntegration.htm" :wink:
... and then figure out the limits of integration in polar coordinates --- so that you integrate over the whole coordinate plane.

hey.. I stucked again in polar coordinates, any help?

Attachments

• DSC04441.jpg
    DSC04441.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 376

-∞-∞ dxdy

is over all of x and y,

so in polar coordinates, that's all of r and θ, ie the limits will be 0≤r≤∞, 0≤θ≤2π :wink:

how do u know, the boundries for teta between 0 and 2pi , haven't figure it out?

and why is going from 0 to -ınfınıte for r, It could be from -infinite to +infinite ?

no, in polar coordinates, r cannot be negative, it is defined as being 0≤r<∞ …

likewise, θ is defined as being 0≤θ<2π :smile:

:) finally I found one value for solve , but the book shows different value, Could u check my calculate?

Attachments

• IMG_9720.JPG
    IMG_9720.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 385
ah, you've calculated 4 times ∫00 dxdy …

that's 4 times ∫00π/2 drdθ, isn't it? :wink:

I think, I will not change the function when I calculate..

Attachments

• DSC04451.jpg
    DSC04451.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 368
sorry, you're misunderstanding …

the "4" is ok :smile:

it's the "2π" in your limit which was wrong, and needed to be changed to "π/2" (in red in my last post) :wink:

so, why did the function go from 0 to pi/2 ? :(

I don't understand that, on the other hand, the function could go from 0 to 2pi...

when can we see this kind of problems because I haven't figured out :(

because your ∫∫ from 0 to ∞ was only over the first quadrant (x≥0, y≥0) …

that's 0 ≤ θ < π/2 :wink:

(if you'd kept to ∫∫ from -∞ to ∞, ie over all four quadrants, that would be 0 ≤ θ < 2π)