Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The number zero

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    Good morning,
    How do we prove that the number zero is a negative or positive number?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Zero by definition is neither positive nor negative so there is no proof for it.

Here's a brief discussion on Zero:

from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(number)

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    Why zero , in France , can be a negative or positive number?
    My reasoning:
    1) [tex]0>0[/tex] involves [tex]0=0+a[/tex] where [tex]a>0[/tex] and involves [tex]0+a>0+a[/tex] and [tex]a>a[/tex] and this is false.
    2) [tex]0<0[/tex] involves [tex]0=0-a[/tex] where [tex]a>0[/tex] and involves [tex]0-a<0-a[/tex] and [tex]-a<-a[/tex] and this is false.
    So the number zero can not be negative or positive.What was supposed to prove.My proof is correct?

5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I doubt that this is correct. By definition of the terms negative and positive, zero is neither negative nor positive.
    You have started with a false assumption; i.e., that 0 is larger than itself. No finite number can be larger than itself, nor can it be smaller than itself.
    You're starting with a false assumption here, as well.

From wikipedia, https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_number
    A positive number is a number that is bigger than zero.

The definition for negative number is similar.

6. Apr 17, 2016 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

By another definition, zero is both negative and positive. I was taught to use the terms "strictly positive" and "strictly negative" in order to avoid the resulting potential for ambiguity. On the other hand, that class was some forty years ago and fashions may have changed.

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

Ssnow

Gold Member

This fact

or this

doesn't convince me ...

8. Apr 19, 2016 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(bolding mine)
    Probably the confusion is just a matter of definition.
    In the English Wikipedia, in the article about zero, one reads:
    In the French Wikipedia, in the article about zero, one reads:
    Translated, that says: "Zero is the only number that is real, positive, negative and purely imaginary".
    So, it really depends if by "positive" one means > 0, as the English Wikipedia does, or ≥ 0, as the French Wikipedia does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted